JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Xajron (Offline)
New to JF

Te-form questions - 06-03-2010, 02:09 PM

Hello!

I would like you ta answer a few of my questions, if you don't mind. Remember that I'm swedish, so my english isn't perfect, so please tell me if you don't understand my questions (I will probably be able to understand your answers though).
Thank you in advance!

Q#1
In my study book "Japanese Patterns for Effective Communication" (JSPEC) it says that I can use the Te-form to link actions in a sequence, but it doesn't say if it has to be the same person who acts, even though another source has told me that it has to be the same subject all the time. Which is correct?

Q#2
When I use the present progressive tense (-te iru) in a sentence, can the subject be a machine, a rock, or anything else that doesn't live?

Q#3
A) When I use -te kara form, do I have to use it to express that two things happen exactly after each other?
B) Do the things that happen have to have something to do with eachother? For example, can I use it to tell someone that a war broke out in the middle east, just a few hours after a new video game console was announced, even though the two things has absolutely nothing to do with each other?
C) Do the things that are described with the -te kara -form have to be human actions, or can it be earthquakes, tornados, and stuff like that that are described?

Thank you for your help!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-03-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xajron View Post
Hello!

I would like you ta answer a few of my questions, if you don't mind. Remember that I'm swedish, so my english isn't perfect, so please tell me if you don't understand my questions (I will probably be able to understand your answers though).
Thank you in advance!

Q#1
In my study book "Japanese Patterns for Effective Communication" (JSPEC) it says that I can use the Te-form to link actions in a sequence, but it doesn't say if it has to be the same person who acts, even though another source has told me that it has to be the same subject all the time. Which is correct?
Same person.
Quote:

Q#2
When I use the present progressive tense (-te iru) in a sentence, can the subject be a machine, a rock, or anything else that doesn't live?
Yes.
Quote:

Q#3
A) When I use -te kara form, do I have to use it to express that two things happen exactly after each other?
B) Do the things that happen have to have something to do with eachother? For example, can I use it to tell someone that a war broke out in the middle east, just a few hours after a new video game console was announced, even though the two things has absolutely nothing to do with each other?
C) Do the things that are described with the -te kara -form have to be human actions, or can it be earthquakes, tornados, and stuff like that that are described?
A) basically yes
B) I think so, but I'm not sure
C) can be anything
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Xajron (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2010, 08:22 AM

Thank you for your help!

If anybody else could tell me more about Q#3B), I would be very grateful.