JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
itsCujo (Offline)
New to JF

Translation check in dire need! Please ^_^ - 03-23-2011, 02:31 AM

Why hello everyone!

A good friend of mine who is taking Japanese in college directed me to here. We were discussing a name that Ive been using as an online handle for a while. I would like to get a tattoo of it because the meaning that I have come to know resonates with a lot on my life.

The name in question is aikuza in romajii, the kanji I would choose for this is 愛句ザ ..yes, I do realize the ザ(za) is katakana.

As far as my internet skills and using people for resources go Ive been able to piece together that it roughly means "the love phrase." I read somewhere that the katakana, when translating, can be moved to the front of the expression for it to make sense.

My friend told me that using za would be a bit weird, like using sign language in the middle of speech (I guess?). Or speaking in Spanish then using a word in English and trying to make it sound Spanish kind of thing.
If so, thats fine, my main question is:

Is it possible for this to be translated to The Love Phrase/The Phrase of Love?
Also, is there any other immediate understanding of this grouping of characters that native Japanese people would recognize?

Ive searched but couldnt find any other meanings except iku but didnt think that would apply because of the kanji Ive chosen being ai and ku seperate.

Thank you so much for your time in reading my request! This means a lot to me even if it seems silly for it to x__x I dont want to get "picnic table" tattood on my arm or something that makes Japanese people go >:C lol
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-23-2011, 02:34 AM

I have a feeling Japanese people will think a non-Japanese person sporting a tattoo with kanji, hiragana or katakana is weird....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-23-2011, 03:02 AM

I don't understand what the ザ is doing there.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
itsCujo (Offline)
New to JF

03-23-2011, 03:25 AM

I dont understand Japanese at all. Thats why I posted it here.
If the za doesnt make any sense at all thats what I need to know XD

John: Thats to be expected though
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-23-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't understand what the ザ is doing there.
I think it's meant to be Engrish for "The".

Which is admittedly quite odd when combined with kanji, even if it's rewritten as 「ザ・愛句」.

@OP: Something like 「愛の言葉」 would work better, especially if you are trying to go for a Beatles' reference.

Last edited by Decimus : 03-23-2011 at 07:09 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-23-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsCujo View Post
I dont want to get "picnic table" tattood on my arm or something that makes Japanese people go >:C lol
No matter what you get tattooed on you, Japanese people are going to "go >:C", simply because it`s a tattoo... And likely doubly as it`s in Japanese. People in Japan just do not regularly get or approve of tattoos.

ザ on the beginning of something makes me think of ダイソ*, and makes whatever is written after look extremely cheap. My husband and I even make jokes putting ザ on the beginning of stuff to symbolize it being cheap, poor quality, etc.

* ダイソ is a 100yen shop, and they like to label their various in-store brand things "ザ・something-or-other". We have a ザ・本カバー from there, and various ザ・音楽 CDs. Also, I think we still have a few disposable ザ・傘. 
ザ・愛句 makes me think of some cheapo book of love poems or something.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-23-2011, 09:15 AM

I agree with the others here. If you'd still really like the name tattoo'd (as many here always ignore advice unless it's what they wanted to hear) Find a kanji you like that reads ZA (though theres not too much choice I don't think..) and hope it fits in with "love phrase" haha. Or.. find other kanji for your AI KU ZA.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#8 (permalink))
Old
itsCujo (Offline)
New to JF

03-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
I think it's meant to be Engrish for "The".

Which is admittedly quite odd when combined with kanji, even if it's rewritten as 「ザ・愛句」.

@OP: Something like 「愛の言葉」 would work better, especially if you are trying to go for a Beatles' reference.
What does 「愛の言葉」 translate to?
The Beatles reference you speak of interests me but I have no idea how to translate that x__x

Thank you for your responses everyone. Im not infatuated with the name enough to toss out the advice. Im thinking about everyones advice seriously and it all makes a lot of sense. I just have no experience with Japanese the language as well as the people so thats why I came here. As it stands now, I will definitely not be getting the tattoo of the name written as I had it in the first post. Though, what Decimus said interests me.
Its too bad that the Japanese would in majority "go >:C" but it cant be helped if thats just who they are :P
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
What does 「愛の言葉」 translate to?
The Beatles reference you speak of interests me but I have no idea how to translate that x__x

Thank you for your responses everyone. Im not infatuated with the name enough to toss out the advice. Im thinking about everyones advice seriously and it all makes a lot of sense. I just have no experience with Japanese the language as well as the people so thats why I came here. As it stands now, I will definitely not be getting the tattoo of the name written as I had it in the first post. Though, what Decimus said interests me.
Its too bad that the Japanese would in majority "go >:C" but it cant be helped if thats just who they are :P
"Words of Love". (Ai no Kotoba)

('though bear in mind that tattoos tend to be viewed negatively in Japan. As do most societies influenced by Confucianism, in general.)

Last edited by Decimus : 03-23-2011 at 10:43 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

03-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
"Words of Love". (Ai no Kotoba)
And is that even close to what the OP is asking for in pronunciation?

Quote:
The name in question is aikuza