JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Music (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/)
-   -   Utada Hikaru Anyone...? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/3657-utada-hikaru-anyone.html)

Jaydelart 05-28-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelestialChild (Post 438450)
In regards to other Jpop singers, I used to think the same way. Now I realize that many of them actually can sing, but they use certain nasally and/or high pitched sounds that are very popular with pop music right now. At first I thought Ayumi Hamasaki was horrible, [and some of her early songs I still don't like as much], but after really listening to her one day and watching her perform, I suddenly understand her appeal. She's now one of my favorites. I think perhaps with a lot of other singers it's a great deal of how we view them with western tastes than their lacking the skills to sing.

I agree, and I've come to realize the same thing.

J-Pop Culture isn't the same as Western Pop Culture.
It isn't that female J-Pop singers generally can't sing, it's that they are performing according to their desired image -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing; performers are also artists.

In reality, all celebrities are at our mercy.
It is particularly more difficult for those who put their reputations on the line for fame through artistic expression; therefore, it is wise to always be aware of one's own image.

And this doesn't just apply to J-pop...
J-Rock culture is also somewhat different from Western Rock culture.

[Back on topic]

I've listened to a lot of Utada Hikaru.
I think she's beautiful both in appearance and craft.

The first song I heard from her was "Simple and Clean" from the Kingdom Hearts commercial on TV.

Originally, I'd thought she was American, from the sound of her voice.
She is Japanese... Born in New York... So I wasn't entirely wrong. :p

AllICanSay 05-29-2008 07:32 PM

Utada + Stargate: “Apple and Cinnamon”?
According to a new entry on BMI (a company that handles licensing on behalf of artists) a previously unheard Utada track titled “Apple and Cinnamon” has been registered. What makes the entry interesting are the two additional composers listed on the track (in addition to Utada): Eriksen Mikkel Storleer and Hermansen Tor Erik; also known as Stargate. The duo have been behind massive hits such as Beyonce’s “Irreplaceable,” Ne-Yo’s “So Sick,” and Rihanna’s most recent hit, “Take A Bow.”
Source: U.Blog

OMG this is like so freakin' awsome O_O

greenteajunkie 06-16-2008 10:39 PM

Has anyone heard Utada Hikaru's version of Fly Me To The Moon from Evangelion? It is so pretty!

YouTube - Neon genesis evangelion-Rebuild-Fly me to the moon

hiromixmorita 07-01-2008 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokugen (Post 88826)
I don't see a thread about her strange I though there'd be one, well anyways she's an extremely successful artist, all her albums but hit 1 number one on Japanese charts. She is the artist of all lyrical Kingdom Hearts music and she's only 24.

Anyways anyone listen to her? I'm listening to Sanctuary now.

i LOVEher songs and yes she is amazing!:)

Haru520 12-18-2008 09:47 AM

Utada Hikaru addicted thread

I am a fan of Hikki for over 8 years.

When she released her first album first love, I fell in love with her.

In my eyes, she is so talented, her voice is so beautiful.

My favorite songs are

Beautiful world
Simple and clean
Prisoner of love
Flavor of Life
Colours
Sakura Drops
Easy breezy
River
Addicted to you
For you

Is there anyone the same as me? :ywave:

Almazing1000 12-18-2008 11:59 AM

I first Utada Hikaru on Kingdom Hearts (Simple and Clean), and her voice was so mesmerizing that I actually bought Deep River Since then I have bought a couple of her other albums. She is very talented.

Saffron 12-21-2008 03:05 PM

Utada Hikaru has a lovely voice. I don't know much about jpop but I managed to find her greatest hits. My favorite song is....First love.

magicalgirlj 01-29-2009 08:07 PM

I love the song she did for the Evangelion movie

yuukilovesbrownies 01-29-2009 08:43 PM

Utada Hikaru is my favorite Jpop singer. Her voice is...angelic. I'm getting her CD LOVE STATION next time I go to the mall. Real men love Utada Hikaru!!! Oh yes!

lizzey 01-31-2009 03:05 AM

Hikki is such amazing woman. I am so glad she is having another english album release. She is always Wonderful in japanese and English.

anybody interest in listing to her new single "Come Back to ME! here is the link!
Island Records - Utada