JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

03-26-2008, 12:36 AM

I agree with Ronin4Hire. It is definitely about preference. I've noticed a lot of Karate is about strength and power. I did Shotokan-Ryu and it's pretty tough. A lot of physical exercise such as running and sparring.

There is a lot of Katas and demos that they will have you do. Blocking, kicking, and punching is what I was doing most of the time. It didn't get spiritual, or dynamic at all. Lots of grounded stances and fluent movement.

Make sure you know what you want before to decide on something.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
QuAtScH (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to QuAtScH
03-30-2008, 02:38 AM

well... for the 3rd time today i'll say it again that aikido is really good... lol
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

04-30-2008, 05:47 AM

I've always wanted to do some form of martial arts. Either that, or boxing. People just take the piss though because I'm a little girl, so I've never really got into either. When I say I want to do it people are just like LOL and if everyone else is like that there, then I expect I won't be so comfortable.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
dere (Offline)
New to JF

04-30-2008, 06:11 AM

I don't know what you mean... plenty of girls practice martial arts and are really good at it, too! (yeah, even little ones xD)

Myself, I practiced Kung-fu for 6 years, and I'm starting Kendo classes next year.

To the OP, my advice is that you go and watch a class of every martial art you're interested in as an spectator, and then choose from there... You can't really go wrong, almost every martial art is good, you just got to find one that suits you.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

04-30-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dere View Post
I don't know what you mean... plenty of girls practice martial arts and are really good at it, too! (yeah, even little ones xD)
I know. but round my area no-one does it, and if I say I want to do it they just find it funny >.< Which isn't the best encouragement around.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
dere (Offline)
New to JF

04-30-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I know. but round my area no-one does it, and if I say I want to do it they just find it funny >.< Which isn't the best encouragement around.
Then be the first one ! Who cares what other people think? Just do it!
You might even start a trend or something
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

05-07-2008, 05:00 AM

I do BJJ and Taekwondo and both do really well for me. If anyone actually asks what style I do I actually say Jeet Kune Do. I DO practice it but, more so than that I take what works for me from several other styles. While I take classes on BJJ, TKD and JKD I study other arts like Tai chi, Shaolin, and Judo.

Essentaly you can teach yourself martial arts. But 90% of the time it's better to train with a master.

And don't worry about what other people think. Martial arts is a very personal thing. It'll change your lifestyle if you take it far enough.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

Send a message via MSN to CrazyLee Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyLee
05-07-2008, 06:35 AM

I'm doing Aikido. Think I'll join in with the Aikido Rules! group we seem to have here....
But, on a more serious note: its about preferance. I do Aikido becuase its not competitive. You don't 'fight' in it. However, if you like sparring (and have seen most any martial arts movie) then go for one like that. It'll be good for you, whichever one you choose.
MissMisa: which part of the UK you in? If your dead certain about wanting to take one up I'll ask around a few friends and see if they know anyone local to you that does something.....(note: too nice for my own good at times)

(#19 (permalink))
Old
fox80 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to fox80
martial arts - 05-07-2008, 05:43 PM

well first you must decide why you wanna use martial art is it for self defend or hurting some one ,karate is basic use for hurting opponent and aikido is some thing else in aiki you'r have option ,my suggestion is Ki aikido ,its relaxing its effective develops good posture and balance and require a use of brain
(#20 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-07-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I've always wanted to do some form of martial arts. Either that, or boxing. People just take the piss though because I'm a little girl, so I've never really got into either. When I say I want to do it people are just like LOL and if everyone else is like that there, then I expect I won't be so comfortable.

Those who dismiss your interest in martial arts as a joke don't understand martial arts. Dere is right, there are many women of all sizes and ages that are skilled various martial arts. There are at least two excellent female teachers here. Both of them compete in several different paths of study.

When I was fencing, I wanted to take up kendo. An injury sidelined that, but since then I done a little bit of Tai Chi and plan to phase in more of it as I phase out some of my dance classes.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.