LinkBack Thread Tools
(#461 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
Thanks for your reply. I haven't yet. But at this point I'm not too interested on teaching languages, because I've tried to teach Japanese or Italian to my brother and I didn't have success. They got the point, but it was hard.

I want to get a job in exports and imports. But I'm almost sure that there's room for me. Mainly because my country has too many things to offer. For example: Fruits, Vegetables, Meats, etc.
I don't know those business well enough to suggest whether works are available in that sector, there are a few other locals on the forum who maybe able to offer more help. As suggested in this thread (and others), it is very costly to sponsor a foreigner, so most company will need to see a real benefit in doing so before they will even consider it.

Teaching is such a popular option because they trust that someone from outside the country can bring better and PROPER English skills in the country. While for all other type of business, the ability to communicate in another language fluently (Will explain in a bit) is a bonus but not a must.

My uncle and cousin had a discussion with me concerning foreign worker. For the most part, a lot of industry who need someone with alternate language skills will only need the basic, so any locals who have basic knowledge of the language and can write/communicate with the supplier is good enough from their perspective. So in the case of an import and export business, it is totally acceptable if the person managing such functions write something like "We like top grade meat, how much per kilo, ship express please" to the vendor, this level of English is managable for many in Japan these days, so is there a real need to higher a foreigner to do this kind of work?

For export its a differnt story, especially if they are selling things outside of the country. You want to be able to impress the customer, but if you look at major companies that sell globally, they have offices setup in alternage location, giving them the geographic advantage. Communication are handled internally in which case.
(#462 (permalink))
Old
Kyle247 (Offline)
New to JF

05-10-2009, 10:13 AM

So would anyone care to tell me what opportunities their are for travelers on working holiday visas in Japan? Tokyo spacificly. It may have been covered in the past fourty something pages.... my bad.

Say I would like to take twelve months off of my current 'degree-less' job here in Australia and experience living in the most densely populated city in the world. Your telling me there is so much compatition in Japan for unskilled work , me as a gaijin would have next to no chance over a local of getting a job say cleaning?
What is it I would need to be able to offer to pick up after people?

Interviewer man- (insert sarcastic tone here) Ahh yes sir i'll just need to see your ahh degree in urban sanatation engineering and I don't see any problem in you be able clean our hotel rooms.
(#463 (permalink))
Old
blutundliebe (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to blutundliebe Send a message via MSN to blutundliebe Send a message via Skype™ to blutundliebe
05-10-2009, 10:51 AM

i have a question but it may have been covered already (sorry if it has). but i was reading the earlier posts and it said that a lot of people didn't want to "lower themselves" to teaching english.

what's wrong with teaching english????

I know someone who got a job offer in Japan to teach English and I'm studying to Teach English as a Second Language.
(#464 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle247 View Post
Say I would like to take twelve months off of my current 'degree-less' job here in Australia and experience living in the most densely populated city in the world. Your telling me there is so much compatition in Japan for unskilled work , me as a gaijin would have next to no chance over a local of getting a job say cleaning?
What is it I would need to be able to offer to pick up after people?
Nothing's stopping you from applying for those type of jobs but degree or visa aside, what can you offer a potential employer? What makes you a standout over the other candidates?

Unless your Japanese is at a near-native level, your presence could actually become a hindrance as they're forced to spend extra time translating written work instructions, daily bulletins, etc. Jobs which involve potential interaction with the public could also be harder to get as well.

For example, a hotel cleaning job may look simple enough but like it or not, you're also representing the hotel while you work. If a customer comes up to you and starts blabbing away in Japanese only to have you look dazzled and confused, it makes the hotel look bad. Especially in a country where customer service is taken very seriously.

With that being said, there are tens of thousands of non-Japanese working in unskilled labor. Jobs which involve rough/hazardous/dirty manual labor, very long hours, harsh working environments, etc.

However, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to leave Japan learning more Chinese, Korean, Portuguese or Persian than Japanese.
(#465 (permalink))
Old
Dondake (Offline)
curlupwithabook-&-sleep

05-10-2009, 05:02 PM

I completely agree. TTvTT;;

Since I'm Canadian, I want to teach English or French, so I'll work hard to get my grades up to get in a good college now! ^^b
(#466 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-10-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondake View Post
I completely agree. TTvTT;;

Since I'm Canadian, I want to teach English or French, so I'll work hard to get my grades up to get in a good college now! ^^b
Very good.. at least we have a few people listening on this board

Just a suggestion, if you are already majoring in English, do consider some more additional studies (Master or maybe even a PHD).. give yourself more option, maybe you can get a job as an assistant at a local university.. you never know
(#467 (permalink))
Old
Kyle247 (Offline)
New to JF

05-11-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Nothing's stopping you from applying for those type of jobs but degree or visa aside, what can you offer a potential employer? What makes you a standout over the other candidates?

Unless your Japanese is at a near-native level, your presence could actually become a hindrance as they're forced to spend extra time translating written work instructions, daily bulletins, etc. Jobs which involve potential interaction with the public could also be harder to get as well.

For example, a hotel cleaning job may look simple enough but like it or not, you're also representing the hotel while you work. If a customer comes up to you and starts blabbing away in Japanese only to have you look dazzled and confused, it makes the hotel look bad. Especially in a country where customer service is taken very seriously.

With that being said, there are tens of thousands of non-Japanese working in unskilled labor. Jobs which involve rough/hazardous/dirty manual labor, very long hours, harsh working environments, etc.

However, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to leave Japan learning more Chinese, Korean, Portuguese or Persian than Japanese.
Yes some very valid points made. I think this is the most helpful thread on the forum. For me at least. It has helped put some reality into a dream of mine. I cant help but find it a little sad that it's such a harsh city for foreigners to get work in. It has definitely changed my approch on planning my stay. Thanks.
(#468 (permalink))
Old
Suneca (Offline)
New to JF

05-11-2009, 10:30 AM

I am trying to go there after I graduate from college, English I guess :P, but I have a question: How is "informatic" going on Japan?
Is it a good work? Or someone can tell me the best jobs that I can get there?
Thanks.
(#469 (permalink))
Old
chinabean (Offline)
JF Regular

06-08-2009, 01:24 PM

I agree with the OP, and that is exactly what i'm currently doing.

I'm currently going to DeVry University in the CIS program, and around August I have to pick my track courses then it's home stretch for the Bachelors Degree and i'm thinking about choosing Enterprise Computing / IBM System Z.
My original plan for going to DeVry University was to become a software engineer but now I just want something that is a bit new and seem like it'll get me to japan better, since Enterprise computing is newly offered at DeVry and one of my professors was one of the lead man in charge of showing/teaching system z to other professors to teach devry students.

but idk I just hope this will help me get a decent paying job in japan after I get a bit of experience working here first or asap
(#470 (permalink))
Old
sjingyu (Offline)
New to JF

06-09-2009, 03:02 AM

Sometimes you just need a degree for your visa and a technical skill to make life...
But as I see the Japanese Speaking and Writing skill is far more important.
I'm chinese,working as a software engineer in Jp for 2 Year right after I graduate from college in China.I spent the time after school to pass the JPLT level 1 when I were in college.But still feel tough when speaking or writing Japanese. although confident in writing and listening.
I think for most of foreigners in JP,the most difficult thing is just communication like real Japanese... this make me feel that the degree I have got in Beijing cannot get me the equal return。。。
PS: Anyone want learn Chinise or Japanese can send me a messege.I'll be very happy to make some friends here...