LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
For what kind of job though? QA (my field) is probably one of the fastest growing field now, I too hire people from say India or China to cut the cost down, but still we only look for QUALIFY CANDIDATE, in this case, without the ability to do a reference check (we could, but its not simple), the only thing that I can base my hiring decision on is the candidate's academic achievements.

When you say game design, you are referring to graphic design right? There are a lot of things involve in a game, the base engine (which probably require a background in computer science or computer engineering), the story, the character, the graphics....... I am sure specific areas will be of interest to Japanese game developer, however, if you do research game developers in Japan work long hours. The people that did final fantasy have to put sleeping bags under their desk to sleep there. So be prepare for it if you planned to become a game developer in Japan
I wanted to be in the Artist field of game design. A concept artist to be specific. I understand that's how long it takes, I saw a documentry on the making of Halo 2 and some of the guys that were there worked non-stop for 24 hours and barely ever went home.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-09-2008, 04:28 PM

"Barely" will be an improvement.. They don't go home period

Though, ok, so you have a goal, work hard on it, finish your university degree in a relevant field and give it a shot, you won't know until you try
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Akakage (Offline)
JF Regular

05-09-2008, 04:51 PM

godwine if you don't mind me asking, what type of jobs are you applying for? Are you checking out websites like daijob.com or careercross.com? I'm just wondering. Rejected after the first phone interview with your qualifications? Seems crazy. Do you have certifications that MSCE, A+, CCNA or anything like that? If so I might be able to help ya out...at least give you a lead on a job. If you don't feel comfortable posting it just PM me.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-09-2008, 05:00 PM

For those still closing out to reality, here is a link for you to further inspire your day:

Jobs in Japan - Secretary

College graduate for secretery work

Last edited by godwine : 05-09-2008 at 05:08 PM.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-09-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakage View Post
godwine if you don't mind me asking, what type of jobs are you applying for? Are you checking out websites like daijob.com or careercross.com? I'm just wondering. Rejected after the first phone interview with your qualifications? Seems crazy. Do you have certifications that MSCE, A+, CCNA or anything like that? If so I might be able to help ya out...at least give you a lead on a job. If you don't feel comfortable posting it just PM me.
Thanks, I was applying for QA Lead and QA Manager roles. I have a certification in ISTQB, and a bunch of other managerial type certification. My area of expertise is in SWQA Management, I currently am a senior qa consultant doing people and project management work in a QA capacity.

I think most of the phone interview was turned off my my limited language ability in Japanese, it took me too long to think/translate and respond.

Though, as my other post stated, I pretty much gave up about this since it will be difficult for my soon to be wife to find a job. And it will definitely be difficult for her to adjust, so our new plan is to just stay in Toronto and save some money, then maybe someday IF the japanese immigration law losen up, we will invest in a small business and move there or something. BUT, I will still go once a year to visit friends and relatives

Though any help will definitely be appreciated, maybe something will spark her interest again.

Thanks
Godwine
P.S. Lets not hijack MMM's thread, unless you felt your further response is helpful to others, otherwise I think we best take this offline..

Last edited by godwine : 05-09-2008 at 05:09 PM.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

05-09-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
"Barely" will be an improvement.. They don't go home period

Though, ok, so you have a goal, work hard on it, finish your university degree in a relevant field and give it a shot, you won't know until you try
This made me ROFL!!!

I used to program the C64 as a games coder (showing my age) but we used to live in a room of computers and code in low level machine code for days at a time. You would never understand our languge as we spoke machine code too each other we were doing it so much. I mean we were so into the game we were making that we could speak code to eachother and lived in darkness only lit by TV screens for days on end. Ahh those were the days!!

Now I am a lead engineer for layer 1 network services and have just got my CCNA and am looking to go for CCIE. I have a very high chance of a job in any part of the world at a very good salery and have never graduated from college.

My last job I was pulling in $80k PA without graduating from college. now what was this thread about?

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#57 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-09-2008, 05:35 PM

But look at the amount of experience you have though? A lot of us from the same era in the IT field may NOT have the education because a computer based education wasn't a common thing back then. You said it yourself, you were able to talk in language that half these people don't understand here (BTW, I used to program memory controllers and cpu registers, so close enough), look at the skills you bring to the table.

WE ALL said that its possible if you possess the skill, no one said that its not possible. BUT AGAIN, IF YOU HAVE THE SKILL.

What MMM and others are suggesting to these kids is that if they really want to find a job anywhere, its best to have a degree, and in Japan its definitely THE ultimate advertising point.

People will not just sponsor someone to stay for no reason, there has to be a mutual benefit, while a university degree doesn't equal to knowledge, skills or ability, its a good implication of it, and definitely something that employer can base their evaluation on.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
hennaz (Offline)
こんにちは!

05-09-2008, 05:36 PM

I wanna work in Japan during my gap year after I leave school next year. I think maybe I could earn some money by teaching English as an ALT. After my gap year, I want to study Japanese. How does that sound? Does anyone want to do something similar, or has anyone done something similar?
Apart from that, I don't really know what I could do for a career...

Hennaz ヘンナズ

(#59 (permalink))
Old
Kai13 (Offline)
あゆ

Send a message via Skype™ to Kai13
05-09-2008, 05:46 PM

I'm currently 16, and I would love to live in Japan within a few years.

I shall go to the University after my 12th grade (I'm in the end of the 11th), to take a chinese (major) and Japanese (minor) 3-year course. In other words, I will learn Chinese and japanese language, cultures and history, I will make my master degree in China or Japan in the 4th grade, and there's one more year, but I know nothing about that one.

(Will this help me on getting a job? The fact of speaking portuguese, english, spanish, chinese and japanese will help me on getting a job?)

After that I would like to be a JET. And then I would like to stay in Japan for good. What's necessary to do to stay for ever living in Japan, having a job?

自分のブログ!
見てみてください。

Last edited by Kai13 : 04-10-2010 at 11:40 AM.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-09-2008, 05:51 PM

You can marry a Japanese Man

BUT, while researching on this topic earlier to look for the type of jobs that require a degree (to support our view), I found a few posting for a "Language Researcher". So if you are majoring in the 2 asian language, your education and skill may land you something in the same or similar areas.