JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
beu (Offline)
New to JF

I want to teach in Japan.. what can I do? Please help me!! - 08-20-2008, 04:57 AM

Hello, my name is Beu and I'm mexican. I speak Spanish, English and French; it is my desire to teach any of those languages in Japan and live there for a few months.

Why? well I'm not going to say because of the anime or the perfect society, because I'm actually not an anime fan. I want to live in Japan because I have already been to US and Europe and to me Japan is a little bit more exotic; I also have a japanese sweetheart and I'd like to see him again for a longer period of time. Maybe he'll give me my heart back because he's keeping it there .

I do have the will to work and to work even more. I'm just 22, I'm a lawyer but I know that right now I do not own the experience for Japan...

That's why I'm asking if someone could please tell me how can I contact a School or the way to become a language teacher in Japan?

I would glady take any suggestion, wether they're possitive or negative.

Please help me!!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kaelazors (Offline)
おっす!

08-20-2008, 05:00 AM

ever hear of the jet program? japan exchange and teaching program:
The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme--
it's amazing! i've never heard of any past participants having a bad experience... ever! i plan on going through the program myself after graduation
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-20-2008, 05:10 AM

People from non-native English-speaking countries will not likely be hired for JET. However, you can look into teaching Spanish.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu View Post
Hello, my name is Beu and I'm mexican. I speak Spanish, English and French; it is my desire to teach any of those languages in Japan and live there for a few months.

Why? well I'm not going to say because of the anime or the perfect society, because I'm actually not an anime fan. I want to live in Japan because I have already been to US and Europe and to me Japan is a little bit more exotic; I also have a japanese sweetheart and I'd like to see him again for a longer period of time. Maybe he'll give me my heart back because he's keeping it there .

I do have the will to work and to work even more. I'm just 22, I'm a lawyer but I know that right now I do not own the experience for Japan...

That's why I'm asking if someone could please tell me how can I contact a School or the way to become a language teacher in Japan?

I would glady take any suggestion, wether they're possitive or negative.

Please help me!!!
Are you Mexican-American or Mexican?

I
沖縄           My blog
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Saffy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Saffy85
08-20-2008, 06:55 AM

Hiya

If you get the TEFL (or equivalent etc) teaching qualifications, it should not matter if your from a native speaking English country or not, as long as you have the certificate to prove your fluent and can teach, then I see no problem with getting a job.

I have read though that the contracts for jobs tend to be given after a face to face interview, this is a way the Japanese schools can avoid dissapointment with you canceling due to no longer comeing to Japan etc.

Good luck and hope this info helps.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-20-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffy85 View Post
Hiya

If you get the TEFL (or equivalent etc) teaching qualifications, it should not matter if your from a native speaking English country or not, as long as you have the certificate to prove your fluent and can teach, then I see no problem with getting a job.

I have read though that the contracts for jobs tend to be given after a face to face interview, this is a way the Japanese schools can avoid dissapointment with you canceling due to no longer comeing to Japan etc.

Good luck and hope this info helps.
It shouldn't matter, but it does. JET doesn't hire from non-native speaking countries and most Japanese who want to pay to learn English want to learn from a native speaker, not a former student of English. I am nost saying it is fair, but there are literally thousands of native speakers vying for those English teaching jobs on any given day, so best focus on the skll-set you have.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2008, 10:10 AM

There are books and websits that list many English schools and teaching programs in Japan that hire foriegners. These resources list the company, how much they pay, the job qualifications, how to contact them and more. A simple search will soon lead you to these books and websites.

I found my company in Japan in one of these books before I was hired and taught Englis on Japan.

Good luck!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ACN (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to ACN
08-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Take a look HERE, it might help
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Japan requires that "native" teachers live at least 12 years in the country who's language they wish to teach. If you haven't lived in America, England, or Australia for 12 years, then you aren't going to qualify as a teacher of English.

You can, however, become a Spanish teacher. But the demand in Japan for languages other than English is not very strong, and jobs are not as easy to find.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Teesama (Offline)
Little Nemesis

08-20-2008, 01:40 PM

Well I was always interested in this.
Don't they consider for example Cambridge exams at all?
I have CAE and I'm thinking about taking IELTS.

Okay, so english for non-native speakers is a nono. My native language is of no use too. So...what options do I have left? If I don't count the studium in here.