JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
boolean (Offline)
New to JF

Working remotely from Japan - 10-09-2008, 11:18 PM

Hello all, I'm very excited to find this community. I'm hoping to spend 6 months in Japan in 2010. Here is a brief info about myself:
I have a combined degree in Computer Science and Business from a reputable university in Canada. (5 years of full-time study).
I'm a software developer and have around 3-4 years of experience. While visiting Japan, I will be working for my online business for which all I need is my laptop and an internet connection.
1. Do I need a work permit to work for my online business. If so any ideas on taxation? My business is based in Canada.
2. Where would be ideal places for working? Basically, I should be able to spend 4-6 hrs a day with a wifi and power outlet.
3. Without fluent Japanese, is it very hard for me to get a software development job in Japan?
Thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-10-2008, 12:16 AM

1. Since you will not be earing yen in Japan there is no need for a work visa.

2. 4-6 hours in an manga / Internet cafe will be a good bet. Of course, some hotels and cafes are starting to provide free wifi, but I would recommend the Internet cafe. More privacy, and no one gets mad if you hang out all day. They are cheap, especially long-term visits.

3. Don't know #3,

How are you planning on staying six months? Working Holiday Visa? Tourist Visas are only 90 days. Where are you planning on staying?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-10-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolean View Post
3. Without fluent Japanese, is it very hard for me to get a software development job in Japan?
I`ll answer this one.

Yes. Think pretty much close to impossible.

Japan is brimming with people who have software development skills, who speak perfect Japanese, and who are deeply familiar with the market.
There really is no reason to choose you over them.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
taro (Offline)
JF Regular

10-10-2008, 03:37 PM

It is possible to get a software development job in Japan without much skill in Japanese. But those jobs are rare limited mostly to multi-national companies. With present drop in economy and demand for IT jobs, I am not sure if you could find much jobs but you can try from several prominent job listings including the one in the following.

You could take a broadband connection for your offshore works.

As far as I know, you do not have to worry about the tax as long as you are not bringing your incomes to Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
boolean (Offline)
New to JF

10-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Thank you for the replies. I'm planning to travel with a Working Holiday Visa and hoping to stay in different cities (haven't planned yet). If I cannot get a Working Holiday Visa, is it possible to re-enter the country after 3 months. For example, after 3 months I can go to Korea for a week or two, then re-enter Japan. Is it possible to get another 3 month visa little after the first one?

I would imagine getting any job without fluent Japanese would be hard. Focusing on internal companies, networking and improving the language would probably be my best bet.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolean View Post
Thank you for the replies. I'm planning to travel with a Working Holiday Visa and hoping to stay in different cities (haven't planned yet). If I cannot get a Working Holiday Visa, is it possible to re-enter the country after 3 months. For example, after 3 months I can go to Korea for a week or two, then re-enter Japan. Is it possible to get another 3 month visa little after the first one?

I would imagine getting any job without fluent Japanese would be hard. Focusing on internal companies, networking and improving the language would probably be my best bet.
10 years ago it wouldn't have been a problem, but what I understand is now they are much more strict.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
10-17-2008, 07:55 AM

Getting the WHV is actually not so difficult and as i know you could move out for a day to Korea and than come back and get a new Visa. But why not spend some more days in Korea? My friends told me that it is pretty easy to get wireless LAN nearly everywhere.

If you stay in a Business Hotel they will mostly feature Lan, you will just have to check in advance. If you will stay for longer than a month in a big city, you could also try the gaijin houses, as they mostly feature free Wireless. Otherwise Manga kissas are your best bet. (night rates are specially cheap.)

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-17-2008, 08:27 AM

to answer #3 . if you plan to get a land a job in Tokyo , yes it is possible. Some of my junior colleagues who virtually don't speak Japanese are now working in Tokyo and earning more than me and japanese is not a requirement. BUT all of them used to worked in major japanese companies before, so even though they don't know how to speak the language they know the politics inside a japanese company which is actually a big factor.

Osaka and Fukuoka software companies are more strict compared that of Tokyo.

There are 2 ways(that I know) to get into a Japanese company, one is to get directly hired and another is use an agent.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#9 (permalink))
Old
boolean (Offline)
New to JF

10-28-2008, 02:24 AM

Thank you very much for your replies. They really helped me a lot. I'm currently focusing on learning the language and I will update you as time goes.