JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Hamichan (Offline)
New to JF

Should I stay or should I go? - 10-29-2008, 07:42 AM

Hi there,

I live in New Zealand and Im currently studying in my second year of a degree in Japanese.

I have been contemplating a working holiday in Japan next year as a break from my studies, but ever since the current financial crisis I have become skeptical about how easy it would be for me to live and work in Japan.

I have heard stories of foreigners in Japan being prone to losing their jobs, and I imagine the cost of living has will also be a factor.

Last year I could buy 95 yen for $1 New Zealand dollar. Now I can only buy 55!

I have spoken to many people about my problem. Some have said I should still go, while others have said it would be safer for me to put a working holiday on hold and continue my degree instead.

If anyone here has any advise it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-29-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamichan View Post
Hi there,

I live in New Zealand and Im currently studying in my second year of a degree in Japanese.

I have been contemplating a working holiday in Japan next year as a break from my studies, but ever since the current financial crisis I have become skeptical about how easy it would be for me to live and work in Japan.

I have heard stories of foreigners in Japan being prone to losing their jobs, and I imagine the cost of living has will also be a factor.

I have spoken to many people about my problem. Some have said I should still go, while others have said it would be safer for me to put a working holiday on hold and continue my degree instead.

I would say focus on graduating, and then look for a job in Japan after that.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-29-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamichan View Post
Hi there,

Lol... what university?

I might know you hehe
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-29-2008, 08:58 AM

A difference of 95 Yen to the NZ Dollar versus 55 Yen to the NZ Dollar works in your favor if you are earning in Yen. Say the exchange was 100 to 1 and you make 150,000 Yen a month, that's 1,500 NZ. However if the exchange is 50 to 1 and you still make 150,000 Yen, that's 3,000 NZ per month. It is like getting a raise without the extra work.

Do you snowboard or ski? If that is the case you need to fast track your visa and go to this site to land a resort job, SNOWWORKERS | Mountain jobs and ski jobs worldwide. If winter is not your scene, I saw a posting a few days ago on gaijinpot.com that hires summer resort help.

Consider this as well, in bad economic times fuel prices plummet because oil companies fear slowing demand. This is in contrast to the good times when oil prices rise steadily. This could translate into cheaper airfare as long as your carrier has not hedged a bet on rising oil, but that is whole different story.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
10-29-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
A difference of 95 Yen to the NZ Dollar versus 55 Yen to the NZ Dollar works in your favor if you are earning in Yen. Say the exchange was 100 to 1 and you make 150,000 Yen a month, that's 1,500 NZ. However if the exchange is 50 to 1 and you still make 150,000 Yen, that's 3,000 NZ per month. It is like getting a raise without the extra work.

The problem is that he is currently saving money in NZ Dollar, so he lost half of the money.

Many people on a WHV come to Tokyo, search a job and than have to stay in this job for a year because they didnt bring enough money to allow a month without a job and they live in Tokyo wich is not cheap.
If you have a little bit money on hand, you can go now. Because you are a english native speaker you should not have that much trouble finding a job. Im German and found a Job in a Resort where they hire Foreigners to speak english to their guest and to make the "British Hills" more authentic.
On the other hand you could also wait and finish your studies and hope the Dollar/yen exchange get better for you (at the moment the yen is quite high!) and go than.

I´d say: if you really want to do that and dont mind taking a maybe shitty job wich doesnt pay so much (wich is not so hard to find) to support yourself till you found something better, than i´d go. If you want to have an easy time, finish your studies and save up more money and than head out to Japan (it will not be easy either, but easier than now).
But a year in Japan now would probably improve your spoken Japanese alot.

Well, i dont know, its your choice after all (lucky me , but i´d say there is always a way! Japan is expsensive, but if you look out a little bit than you can live for around 7500yen a day (including everything) even while travelling. If you find a reasonable place in a city you might be able to drop that figure.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-29-2008, 03:01 PM

Finish college.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-30-2008, 01:33 AM

There's nothing wrong with taking a gap year if you think it will help in your studies or in another way. As you are studying Japanese, you might even get a few credits for time spent in Japan.

There is plenty of work available here for WHV holders, though it will be part time, and the pay will not be so good. The most common jobs are as bartenders, doormen, etc. Resort jobs exist, but are harder to get. Teaching English is the best option, but a limited one as well because of the short term of your stay.

As for the currency situation, it's bound to turn around soon. I'm not complaining at all, as I'm being paid in yen at the moment, it's going to make my winter vacation much more affordable. On that note, if you do find work here, even if the pay seems low, you have to consider how many New Zealand dollars you'll be able to get for your yen.

The cost of living in Japan is entirely relative. You can live here just as cheaply as you would in many other industrialized countries, though it will take an effort. Staying in a dorm (Sakura House, etc.), and eating from convenience stores or lower end food shops is very inexpensive.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
LadyRowena (Offline)
New to JF

11-04-2008, 02:58 AM

I don't know if New Zealand is the same as here (US), but there are a lot of programs in universities here that do exchange programs so that way you can study in Japanese universities. Yeah, you might not get to go to Tokyo, but you basically get to have your cake and eat it, too. You get to spend time in Japan, finish you degree, and it looks pretty spiffy on your resume, too.