JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Favorite regions of Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/21278-favorite-regions-japan.html)

MMM 12-02-2008 09:21 PM

Favorite regions of Japan

What is your favorite region of Japan and why?

Sparhawk 12-02-2008 09:29 PM

I spent 4 years in and around Yokosuka with many many trips to Toyko and surrounding area. I love that area. There are so many places to visit. I quickly became a master at the Train system, so getting around was second nature.
Living in a Japanese house, getting know my neighbors was great. i guess that's why I like the area so much. It's a personal attachment:cool:

I had friends who lived in Sasebo and after spending some time there, I was ready to come back to Toyko. I enjoyed it more than down south.

Sinestra 12-02-2008 09:45 PM

I chose Kansai although i only spent a week there i had a lot of fun. I love history and most of all i love Japanese history and Kansai is deeply rooted in it. Of course Osaka and Kyoto are the two most popular cities which pretty much everyone has heard of. I found the people in Osaka a lot more polite and easier to approach then in Tokyo thats not to say people in Tokyo are not polite and but i had more conversations with people in Osaka that i didnt know than i did in Tokyo.

Also, The Kansai region houses some of Japan's most beautiful and historic land marks including the Hōryū-ji (worlds largest wooden structure), the Nintoku Tomb (worlds largest burial mound) Plus my personal favorite Osaka Castle but we can throw Nintendo in there two lol.

I guess i just like all the history once can access in the region. When you see things like those it makes you feel just how young the U.S. is compared to Japan.

MMM you didnt mention yours?

MMM 12-02-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinestra (Post 637275)
MMM you didnt mention yours?

I didn't want to influence anyone....yet.

Sinestra 12-03-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 637367)
I didn't want to influence anyone....yet.

LMAO i see but damn i wish people would think for themselves for once. Its hard being the papa bear around isnt it?:D

Hatredcopter 12-03-2008 02:14 AM

Chubu.

名古屋はええよ!

After my stint in Touhoku, I'd really like to move back there.

MMM 12-03-2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinestra (Post 637514)
LMAO i see but damn i wish people would think for themselves for once. Its hard being the papa bear around isnt it?:D

More like being seen as the big bad wolf...but I digress...

I did put my vote in.

Kitsuneko 12-03-2008 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 637268)
What is your favorite region of Japan and why?

I've been in Kyushu most, I guess, and am still homesick for Saga and Kumamoto (the Japanese side of my family is from that area).

Spent a little time in Narita but didn't care much for it. I guess I like inaka better.

MMM 12-03-2008 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsuneko (Post 637540)
I've been in Kyushu most, I guess, and am still homesick for Saga and Kumamoto (the Japanese side of my family is from that area).

Spent a little time in Narita but didn't care much for it. I guess I like inaka better.

I was only in Kyushu once, but was really impressed. I would love to go back again.

Nagoyankee 12-03-2008 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess my username says it all. :D

Go Chubu! Go Nagoya! :vsign:

Nyororin 12-03-2008 07:33 AM

Chubu. I live here by choice.
Tokai - Hokuriku is the best. :D

Quote:

名古屋はええよ!
やっとかめ~ (笑)

MMM 12-03-2008 07:36 AM

I knew how Nagoyankee and Nyororin would vote, but I am surprised by how many Hokkaido votes so far. I don't hear people talking about Hokkaido so much here.

Nagoyankee 12-03-2008 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 637600)
Chubu. I live here by choice.
Tokai - Hokuriku is the best. :D

やっとかめ~ (笑)

Wonder if I should create a Nagoya dialect chat thread.... At least three members will be posting! :D

MMM 12-03-2008 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 637605)
Wonder if I should create a Nagoya dialect chat thread.... At least three members will be posting! :D

I would love to read that, as distinguishing japanese dialects is a hobby of mine.

This is a personal favorite:

(obviously exaggerated and done by all Kansai comedians)

YouTube - ごっつええ感じ

Nyororin 12-03-2008 07:54 AM

Here we go. :D

名古屋はええよ!やっとかめ

When it comes to dialects though, I have to say I`m much better at imitating a Fukui one than Nagoya. As, well, in Fukui, almost EVERYONE speaks that way... While in Nagoya, most people are pretty standard.

Hatredcopter 12-03-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 637610)

名古屋はええよ!やっとかめ

When it comes to dialects though, I have to say I`m much better at imitating a Fukui one than Nagoya. As, well, in Fukui, almost EVERYONE speaks that way... While in Nagoya, most people are pretty standard.

Thanks to karaoke, I have that song completely memorized (except for the spoken part in the middle).

When I was studying at Nanzan, one of the teachers gave us a short lesson in Nagoya-ben. Despite still speaking with a neutral Japanese dialect, that didn't stop people that we met in Kyoto from making cat noises at us.

MMM 12-03-2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

名古屋はええよ!やっとかめ

That's what confused me a little about the time I spent in Nagoya, as the women and men seemed to speak different dialects. To me the men sounded closer to Kansai-ben where the women sounded closer to Tokyo-standard.

Again, a sweeping generalization made over several short trips.

Nagoyankee 12-03-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 637607)
This is a personal favorite:

(obviously exaggerated and done by all Kansai comedians)

YouTube - ごっつええ感じ

LOL Around 5:50, Matsumoto goes, "シュワルツネッガー福井の生まれ~。" :D

Quote:

Hilarious! I spilt my soda over the NASA bit around 1:30. :D

MMM 12-03-2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 637622)
LOL Around 5:50, Matsumoto goes, "シュワルツネッガー福井の生まれ~。" :D

That's one of my favorite parts of the bit...that Fukui has nothing so famous.

Nyororin 12-03-2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 637623)
That's one of my favorite parts of the bit...that Fukui has nothing so famous.

佐々木小次郎 is supposed to have been from Fukui.

I could probably come up with a lot more if my husband were home, as he is from Fukui... And is supposedly descended from some one quite famous. Of course, I forget who.

But come on, no need to make fun of the place. :P

Firebird 12-03-2008 12:41 PM

Well in have only been in Kanto, Hokkaido and Tohoku so far and will travel the rest next year.
Anyway i voted for Tohoku. That is probably also personal because ive met great people there. And Tohoku has some great places to be! Hokkaido would follow shortly after and than Kanto.

xYinniex 12-03-2008 12:45 PM

I WANT TO GO TO HOKKAIDO.[sadly haven't been]
Seafooood/ <3
FOOOD/<3

lollijenn 12-04-2008 02:19 AM

i picked okinawa... but im biased.. i lived there

Kandierain15 12-05-2008 12:51 AM

I perfer Okinawa. It's really pretty there. ^_^

MMM 12-05-2008 06:24 AM

I never expected Hokkaido to be "winning"...though it certainly is a beautiful part of the country.

Nyororin 12-05-2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 638876)
I never expected Hokkaido to be "winning"...though it certainly is a beautiful part of the country.

I have this vague feeling that it also has to do with familiarity of the name. Hokkaido is always called Hokkaido - but you don`t hear the others quite as often. (At least, if you`re outside of Japan.)

MMM 12-05-2008 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 638882)
I have this vague feeling that it also has to do with familiarity of the name. Hokkaido is always called Hokkaido - but you don`t hear the others quite as often. (At least, if you`re outside of Japan.)

You might be right. Okinawa has a lot of votes too.

Obviously this isn't scientific.

I wonder if people know that Akihabara is in Kanto.

samurai007 12-05-2008 07:38 AM

It may also be a lot of people who've never been to Japan just always hear about how beautiful Hokkaido is supposed to be, or they see pictures of the ice sculpture contest, etc, and so are voting for it.

SSJup81 12-05-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai007 (Post 638893)
It may also be a lot of people who've never been to Japan just always hear about how beautiful Hokkaido is supposed to be, or they see pictures of the ice sculpture contest, etc, and so are voting for it.

Some people might just like the weather there in general. Of course I can't vote here since I've never lived in Japan, but if going by climate and weather alone, I could see me voting for a place like Hokkaido or maybe Tohoku, since I could see me adapting easier there compared to places like the Kanto region or Kansai or Okinawa, etc., which has very very hot, humid summers. It's just that places like Hokkaido are cooler in comparison.

samurai007 12-05-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJup81 (Post 638899)
Some people might just like the weather there in general. Of course I can't vote here since I've never lived in Japan, but if going by climate and weather alone, I could see me voting for a place like Hokkaido or maybe Tohoku, since I could see me adapting easier there compared to places like the Kanto region or Kansai or Okinawa, etc., which has very very hot, humid summers. It's just that places like Hokkaido are cooler in comparison.

Cooler in summer, but freezing cold with tons of snow in winter. At least the Kansai area rarely gets much snow except in the mountains. And you can even get away with wearing short sleeves in winter in Kyushu or Okinawa, on the warmer days.

emiluvsjmusic 12-05-2008 10:52 AM

Kansai - I go there the most and its awesome :D

Wasabista 12-05-2008 11:19 AM

That's a tough one. I like Tohoku and Hokkaido a lot. The scenery is beautiful, the onsen are great and the people are kind and helpful.

I also like Kyushu. I've been there a few times and I've found the people quite friendly and easygoing.

Didn't like Osaka much I'm afraid.

Aniki 12-06-2008 05:33 AM

I chose Kanto, but I can't say why I chose it.

Kitsuneko 12-06-2008 05:37 AM

Wow, Hokkaido's pretty popular! :D

I'd love to see Hokkaido myself one of these days. My dad and I want to go there next time...

StangGuy 12-06-2008 05:50 AM

I will have to say Chugoku, because my wife is from Kure and Hiroshima city is the only place I have spent any considerable amount of time in Japan. It also didn't feel like a western city, while the areas I saw of Nagoya and Osaka reminded me of San Francisco.

Keram 12-06-2008 11:07 PM

Best Places To Live In Japan???

Here Are A Lot Of Hits..... But Why Has Hasn't Anyone Done The Survey?????

MMM 12-07-2008 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keram (Post 639783)
Here Are A Lot Of Hits..... But Why Has Hasn't Anyone Done The Survey?????

I think a lot of people aren't familiar with the region names.

SSJup81 12-07-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai007 (Post 638915)
Cooler in summer, but freezing cold with tons of snow in winter. At least the Kansai area rarely gets much snow except in the mountains. And you can even get away with wearing short sleeves in winter in Kyushu or Okinawa, on the warmer days.

But for me, I like cold weather. I like bundling up and all that. I also like snow. ^^

kenmei 12-08-2008 08:39 AM

I can't really help but to be biased as I've yet to travel enough :(

spicytuna 12-08-2008 07:55 PM

I spent some time with my uncle who lives in Yamanishi and I really loved that area. Lots of nature, great views of mountains including Fuji-san, hot springs, wineries, etc. And best of all, it isn\'t too far from Tokyo.