JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Keram (Offline)
New to JF

But what are the costs??? - 12-06-2008, 08:05 PM

I am looking to move to Japan. My wife is a Japanese national.

I am seeking information regarding the cost of living. Not so much as the price of food. But costs like city hall taxes, parking fees if you own a car, car licensing costs, and some of the associated costs with owning a house, utilities etc. Is there some where I can get this information or can someone possibly help in this area.

I realize that every area is different, yet I am looking for a "ball park" figure or rough costing. I have enough finance to purchase a modest house in the outer suburbs of Osaka. That is where we intend to live.

There is a question that you may ask as to why I do not ask my wife's family about these things. The answer is that I have, and I cannot a direct answer for some reason.

Is there anyone who can help?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-06-2008, 08:25 PM

I think you aren't getting a clear answer because the numbers vary so much. For instance, how much do those things cost in the US? It varies enormously depending upon the neighborhood, how close you are to a large city, the age and size of the house, etc. In general, I'd say if you plan/expect many of those things to be at the very least equal, and quite possibly a little higher than, a comparable thing in the US, you should be "in the ballpark". Countryside areas are less expensive than the cities, as you'd expect, so if you need to, move a little ways further out of the city.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Keram (Offline)
New to JF

Unhappy But what are the costs???!!! - 12-06-2008, 08:55 PM

Thanks for your reply,

I was wanting to know the current costs in Japanese yen. I am not making any comparisons between countries. As you know, the US there all sorts of hidden taxes County taxes, state taxes, federal taxes, etc..

But what I am looking for is the costs incurred once you register at city hall. Is it income based or locality based? If you purchase a home (let say around 40,000,000 yen) do you have to pay land tax, and if so at what rate? Does City Hall charge you for Garbage collection, so how much? and so on... This will give me an Idea of what I will need to budget on, and what preparations I will need do to make this shift.

Any Ideas?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-06-2008, 10:16 PM

I lived in a suburb outside of Osaka in a small apartment. My rent was 65,000 a month. Garbage was about 2000 yen a month. I think my employer paid all fees for form filing. My basic bills weren't that much different than in the US in terms of monthly costs (water, electric, gas, etc.) Parking at my apartment was 20,000 a month.

If you don't need a car, I would avoid it if possible. I think gas is around 3 or 4 times the price it is in the US, and insurance, parking, "free"way use are all expensive. To use the highway to drive from Osaka to Tokyo is around 10,000 yen.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Keram (Offline)
New to JF

But what are the costs??? - 12-07-2008, 09:31 AM

This is great information, perhaps if there is anyone out there living in Kansai, who owns a house can help with more information???
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-08-2008, 10:20 AM

Taxes in Japan are ridiculously high. I don't know about property tax, but income tax at the local level is what you would expect to pay if you were to add federal and state US tax together. Federal income tax is low, but when you add it to you local tax bill (which you receive the following tax year) the total income tax collected exceeds US levels.

Car ownership is another big expense. If you are coming from the States, I think you are going to be kind of shocked at how expense it is not just to own a vehicle but to get anywhere as well.

Seriously, I might placate my spouse by living in Japan for about a year, but then I would get out. If you have never lived in Japan before, you may want to give it a trial run anyways.

Actual numbers

Owning a car but living at an apartment, your parking space will probably cost about 20 dollars a month. Insurance is cheap because car insurance in Japan does very little. If you are involved in any kind of accident in which you are not completely stopped, the percentage that you are at fault will be determined by a police officer. I don't quite get it, but then I don't think anyone does. The big expenses will be tax which you pay based on the engine size and/or weight of your car. For a 600cc car that will be about 100 USD a year. An actual car I would imagine between 2 and 300. Then there is the inspection. New cars do not need shaken for about 5 years. After that and every two years you can expect to pay about 1,600 for maintenance. I don't understand really what this money goes towards.

Income tax, if I were to calculate it I could give you a percentage. But let's just say that after working and living here for two years, my combined income tax is equal to about a month and a half of my salary.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 12-08-2008 at 10:36 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2008, 10:37 AM

Unless you have small children consider NOT buying a car, as others have said. Public transportation in Japan is excellent.

If you do buy a car, get a used one. You'll have to get it certified but you can get one real cheap. Maybe free.

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-09-2008, 11:15 AM

In my area, a home costs between $50k and $300k depending on the size, location, age, etc. Gas (if your house comes supplied with it) will run about $50 per month. Electric will run about $100 per month. Phone service varies, you'll need to by your own line if you want a land line in your own home it will be about $400 for the line, and another $100 per month for service. A cell phone runs about $100 per month, though you can get a family plan where you can talk to your wife for free.

Income tax is about the same as in America, but lower than in Europe. Local tax varies significantly. My girlfriend's tax bill for 2007 was about $7000, but then her apartment cost $1,000,000, and is located in a more expensive district. I've yet to receive a bill, I expect it to be about $1000 for the year.

The costs of owning a car are not much worse than they are in the states, in many cases. If you are buying a home, it will more than likely include a space to park. Insurance and inspection fees can run from $600 to $1200 per year, depending on the make, model, and year of your car, and the number of drivers. Highway tolls are expensive running as much as 100 yen per kilometer in some places. You can often buy a car cheaply from another foreigner. Many foreigners here own cars, and then sell them before returning to their home countries. It is worth the trouble of finding a car that has a year or more of time left on it's inspection and insurance. Buying a car with no valid inspection or insurance will not save you money, you'll need to come up with at least $1000 to get it on the road legally.

The cost of food is about the same as in America, though the menu will be quite different. You'll find things beef and pork to be more expensive, but chicken is reasonable, and fish is rather inexpensive. Rice on the other hand is costly, running about 6 times what it cost in America. Produce is more costly, but this varies greatly according to the region where you live. Where I live, I find prices on most foods to be the same or often less than what I paid for it in America.

Things to keep in mind when shopping for a home, proximity to transportation. Being close to the train station is convenient, and taking the train will always cost less than driving. But try to find a place which is not too close to the station, the trains and the sounds of railroad crossing alarms are quite loud, and carry long distances. Parking is important if you are planning to own a car. If you are planning to finance a car, you'll be required to show proof that you have a place to park. As for the home itself, if it's an older home, beware of mold. It's hot and humid in Japan, and it rains a lot. You'll know by the smell as soon as you come inside the house whether or not there is a mold problem. Homes on alleyways are much more quiet than roads on streets. Unmuffled scooters are popular with teenagers here, no matter what part of the country you live in.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Keram (Offline)
New to JF

Smile But what are the costs?? - 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM

This information in really great. At least now, I have some idea in what to prepare myself for. I am sure that other people reading this thread will gain from the information given so far. Thanks to you all. If there are more people out there who can add to this I am certain that all will benefit....