JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tommy187 (Offline)
New to JF

Unhappy Going to school in japan - 12-11-2008, 06:37 AM

Hey guys um im new to this so im just going to ask please give me your thoughts or opinions, or help on this. i'm 18 years old...and not very smart iv also flunked like 3 years of school can't remember which grades also i went to a military school for about 1-2 years. I went there at the 8th grade went to 9th then 10th sort of and dropped out iv been isolated in my room now for a year now just rotting lol...and i decided i did'nt want to do this any more but for some reason every time i decide what to do, my head keeps telling me try going back to school in japan though this time. iv been the type to not have many friends so i was thinking about going to japan hopefully also getting to meet a host family that would take me in for awhile if i pay a decent amount of yen while i go to school there. I wana make new friends there just because i think it would be really fun learning something very new while im going to school there to me and i would most likley have alot of fun there at the same time, i heard its very pretty in some parts, i also would be takeing japanese langauge lessons dureing school hopefully or after school. To me my heart just tells me if you do this i will achieve something that you havent before, im asian and was born in america so ya lol not really relevent to the topic but i just dont know any more i just need some advices please! help me out of what to do with my life , i have money but not like rich money lol, also, i dont know if im to old to go back to school or even if i do go which grade i would be placed in or even back in school at all.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-11-2008, 06:41 AM

Asian education is something you don't want to try if you're always flunking. I'm telling you, it's so damn hard and depressing, but if you can handle that then you will be a genius.

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-11-2008, 06:48 AM

Yep, I agree with superheel. If you can't spell or make use of paragraphs, you're going to have trouble. And if you flunked out of American high school, do you honestly think you could make the cut in Japanese high school? Do you even speak Japanese?

It sounds like you've got a starry-eyed dream with no plan or talent to back it up. If you want my advice, face your failures in your home country by finishing the school you started, and take an exchange trip to Japan during college.

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan

Last edited by Keaton421 : 12-11-2008 at 06:52 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-11-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheel View Post
Asian education is something you don't want to try if you're always flunking. I'm telling you, it's so damn hard and depressing, but if you can handle that then you will be a genius.
Why does everyone say that? It's so not true... It's as tough as any other country, and the Japanese/asians don't come out any smarter than Americans or any other country... It's tough and depressing for those who aim at going to the Top Universities, but is that any different for those in America who try to get into Harvard, Yale etc?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Mehmet (Offline)
New to JF

12-11-2008, 09:15 AM

Why would a japanese school accept someone who has flunked class ect.?

First get on track with real school then IF you get a proper job you could go and visit japan,

Im sorry mate but thats reality and sometimes it sucks.

Follow the rules or you will be
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-11-2008, 10:00 AM

It's dreadfully hard to learn anything if you're unmotivated. Why not try spending the next year teaching yourself Japanese rather than rotting in a basement and, if you get on well with it, see what you can do to get a year's working visa to Japan?

I've heard variously that it's nigh-impossible to work in Japan without a college degree, and that it's not so hard if you want to do bar work, so seek advice on that point. Certainly a university degree is a huge benefit, and if Japan is where you really want to be you'll knuckle down, study hard, and get one. On the other hand, education in the USA isn't cheap. Unless you're willing to dig yourself a large debt hole, or have minted parents who can support you, it might not be an option.

Basically now's the time to think long and hard about the future. If it helps you any, I do not have a degree, yet have had a succession of reasonably-paid jobs. In spite of whatever modest personal success I have had, I am not in a position to easily relocate to Japan - my best bet is if I marry my degree-educated fiancee and he chooses to go work the JET programme. Even then I would have to work pretty hard to make enough money freelancing as a travel writer to support two of us living together.

I've had so many friends in the US who cling to the dream of moving to another country just to escape whatever small town they live in, and I've said this to each and every one of them: If you can't even make a move to the nearest big city, what makes you think you can survive abroad?

There's a life out there for you. There's a life out there for everyone. And I do not have the right to tell you that your life isn't in Japan. But I have the responsibility to advise you that it won't be easy.

Speak to your nearest Japanese Embassy to find out what your options are. Do your research online. Don't stick to single sources of information (for anything in life, in fact) - seek out two or three sources to confirm the same fact just to be certain. Be sure also that, when checking things online, you're checking details which pertain to your country - for example, the UK has a visa exemption arrangement with Japan which means I could go there for up to six months without having to seek a visa. I would imagine the US has something similar, but double-check this.

Best of luck!

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TheUnknown (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-11-2008, 11:35 AM

Well Just remember, 'No Pain, No Gain'. If You Want Something, You Gonna Have To Work For It. And Yes, Learning Japanese Is Not Easy, Like Any Other Languages, It Takes Time. And God Bless.

人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青。-- None since the advent of time have escaped death, may my loyalty forever illuminate the annals of history.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
tommy187 (Offline)
New to JF

12-11-2008, 03:19 PM

thank you very much every one so far on all your thoughts