JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

Applying for a job outside vs locally - 01-12-2009, 04:28 AM

I am having a real tough time deciding whether I want to try landing a job before I go to Japan or go there on a tourist visa and then trying to find a job locally.

The thing that scares me about going there on a tourist visa and looking for a job is that I will have to have a lot of start up money because I'd need to find a place to stay while searching for a job. However, I've heard that schools are more willing to recruit people who they can meet in person rather than dealing with online resumes.

By the way, I am talking about teaching jobs. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-12-2009, 04:47 AM

Why don't you start applying for jobs while you're in the US? You have nothing to lose.

The economic outlook for Japan isn't exactly great and when you combine that with their strong yen, it doesn't make much sense to blindly jump ship.

Besides, there's no guarantee that you'll get a job in the area you desire.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
01-12-2009, 04:59 AM

Yeah, now is not the time to bail, given the economic conditions, in the US or Japan.

Keep in mind, with the current situation, foreigners will get dropped first.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-12-2009, 05:32 AM

Legally, Japanese companies cannot hire someone with a tourist visa. Apply from home.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-13-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Legally, Japanese companies cannot hire someone with a tourist visa. Apply from home.
No, they can't. But they can and will sponsor you for a visa if they hire you. Only a small percentage of schools in Japan hire from overseas, so, though it will be expensive, you will actually have more options if you apply in Japan. The process for getting a new visa is not much different than the process of renewing an existing visa, and any school in Japan which hires foreigners (which is all of them), is familiar with the process.

That said, applying from home and being hired by a larger school will simplify the process, particularly housing. Getting an apartment in Japan can be a difficult (and expensive) ordeal. The larger chain schools will usually take care of the process for you, or loan you the money to take care of it yourself.

Most of the schools which hire from overseas will require you to submit a detailed cover letter/CV/resume, and some will require that you write an essay ("Why I want to live and work in Japan..."). Be very careful when you prepare these papers, the companies will examine them very carefully for errors. If there are any more than 2 or 3 errors in spelling or grammar, you will not be considered.

If you are considered, and the company calls you, your English speaking ability will also be judged. Speak clearly, enunciate properly, and use correct grammar.

If you pass the phone interview, you will be invited to a personal interview. You will travel to this interview at your own expense. Even if you are hired, you will not be compensated for the trip.

The personal interview is very important. You must appear clean cut and professional. No long hair, no facial hair, no piercings, no visible tattoos. Wear a business suit, preferably navy blue, a dress shirt, a conservative tie, a belt, and dress shoes with leather soles. Your personal appearance will make up half the determining factor, possibly even more.

If you are hired, the odds are 50/50 that you'll also have to pay for your travel to Japan, so keep that in mind. You may or may not be reimbursed (most likely not), but if you complete your one year contract, you'll be given a bonus which you can use to pay for your trip home.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
magicalgirlj (Offline)
moetaku

01-18-2009, 09:02 PM

I am hoping to be a nurse in Japan can this advice also help me

avatar- Kamio Misuzu from Air tv
please buy anime DVD's and manga