JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

01-15-2009, 03:26 AM

I've never seen anyone so gung-ho on upholding TV licensing regulations. Maybe you should get a hobby...

BTW, I don't pay my NHK fees! Nor should I, because I don't even watch NHK. The only thing I ever watched on it was the 紅白 on this recent new years eve.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-15-2009, 04:24 AM

I pretty much only watch NHK - all the other stations are total crap with nothing but "variety" and over-acted "drama"....

NHK Edu and BS Hi FTW.
They actually spend money on making their programming instead of just copying something from somewhere else and letting "talent" in the studio ooh and ahh in the corner of the screen.

We also pay the fees, because we actually think it`s worth it. Just like we don`t complain about paying our taxes, health fees, etc because the services actually outweigh the price.

If you`re selfish though, sure, go ahead. Earn my derision.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

01-15-2009, 06:48 AM

Yeah... and? Our TV license pays for the BBC which is arguably the best channel there is. It's only once a year, it's barely anything and you don't pay for every TV in your house. So... it's all good
(#14 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

01-15-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpid View Post
1. Fines from 500M to 1.36B yen
2. Confiscation of the TV set
3. Imprisoment from 15-50 years(Prefecture dependant)
"TV Licence evasion: never fair, never right, ALWAYS ILLEGAL"
could u be so kind and offer any sources for the info u just posted.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

01-15-2009, 07:51 AM

Sorry, I just don't believe in paying for something I don't use. And when I say that, I'm not referring to things such as health insurance and taxes. Those things are IMPORTANT, whether I use them or not. They keep people alive and they keep things like police and roads funded. NHK may be a quality TV station and it may survive on licensing fees, but I don't use it, so I'm not going to fork up ¥15,000 when the NHK man comes by and jams his foot in my doorway to prevent me from closing it (literally!) Furthermore, I don't have an actual TV set, just a TV tuner that's plugged into the side of my laptop, and that wasn't purchased in Japan.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-15-2009, 08:28 AM

I changed the title of the post for accuracy.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-15-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Sorry, I just don't believe in paying for something I don't use. And when I say that, I'm not referring to things such as health insurance and taxes. Those things are IMPORTANT, whether I use them or not. They keep people alive and they keep things like police and roads funded. NHK may be a quality TV station and it may survive on licensing fees, but I don't use it, so I'm not going to fork up ¥15,000 when the NHK man comes by and jams his foot in my doorway to prevent me from closing it (literally!) Furthermore, I don't have an actual TV set, just a TV tuner that's plugged into the side of my laptop, and that wasn't purchased in Japan.
I wasn`t directly referring to you - just the general attitude taken by most foreigners in reference to any sort of fee they may have to pay while in Japan.
If you honestly *never* watch NHK, that`s one thing. But it seems like everyone who says they never watch it actually do on a regular basis...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
GregFromScotland (Offline)
I love you.

Send a message via MSN to GregFromScotland Send a message via Skype™ to GregFromScotland
01-15-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Yeah... and? Our TV license pays for the BBC which is arguably the best channel there is. It's only once a year, it's barely anything and you don't pay for every TV in your house. So... it's all good
In all honesty, BBC is far from the best channel availible. Maybe it's because I rarely watch TV as it is, but, it is nothing but crap sitcoms, soap operas, poor attempts at comedy, crap things like "strictly come dancing", very few good movies shown and the only thing reputable about it the BBC is their ability to tell the news.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-15-2009, 10:24 AM

I paid the fee in my first apt. in Japan because I didn't know any different. When I moved, I put the TV where it couldn't be seen from the door. Sorry, but they're just going to have to try harder. When I watch the news I expect to see more than just endless tinted car windows and building facades.

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

01-15-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregFromScotland View Post
In all honesty, BBC is far from the best channel availible. Maybe it's because I rarely watch TV as it is, but, it is nothing but crap sitcoms, soap operas, poor attempts at comedy, crap things like "strictly come dancing", very few good movies shown and the only thing reputable about it the BBC is their ability to tell the news.
In your opinion... I rarely watch TV either, but if I do then it's normally BBC. ITV is a chav channel and 4 and 5 aren't much better. There are the vast array of other channels, but to be honest, since I have freeview they are all crap anyway. If I do watch TV, it's the news I watch. If you don't like paying TV license then you don't have to have a TV.