LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
Buying Camping gear and Road Atlas in Osaka - 05-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Hey guys,
after my last question was answered quickly and efficent i decided to ask for help again.
This time i will be in Osaka from tomorrow for 2 days and i need to buy camping gear or lets say it like this: Im gonna rent a car and want to sleep in the car so i will need a sleeping bag or a blanket and some kind of a mat to sleep on.
Because im taking a cheap car i will not have a navigation so i will need a road atlas for Chugoku and Shikoku, any recommodations? Best would be if it showes the michi no eki as well.
Now my question: Where in the Osaka area can i buy this stuff? Anywhere next to a train/Bus/subway station will do! (just cheap if possible, second hand would do as well)
Cheers again guys, hope you know something!

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-15-2009, 10:14 AM

Here you go, 東急ハンズ - 「楽しい」「驚きがある」「お役に立てる」店へ

They should have a pretty good selection of camping gear, and their prices aren't too bad.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-15-2009, 10:29 AM

Tokyu Hands has travel gear? Or did you mean the Outparts?
Also my japanese is not to bad, i hardly can read kanji so its difficult to locate it on the homepage where the actual shop is.

Oh i think i found it, you mean the one just outside Osaka station( west exit)? (DOM shopping center?)

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

05-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Tokyu Hands has travel gear? Or did you mean the Outparts?
Also my japanese is not to bad, i hardly can read kanji so its difficult to locate it on the homepage where the actual shop is.

Oh i think i found it, you mean the one just outside Osaka station( west exit)? (DOM shopping center?)
Tokyu Hand sells pretty much everything, from materials for making furniture, to Tempur-pedic beds, to Snap On automotive tools, to bicycles and camping gear. I've shopped there for backpacks, hiking boots, a compass, and other necessities. They usually carry name-brand, decent quality stuff, and their prices are good.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-15-2009, 12:09 PM

Ok, cheers for that, i hope i can find what i search. Any recommdations for the Atlas?

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

05-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Whenever I need a map, I simply go to Google Maps and print what I need. Otherwise, Lawson convenience stores sell a variety of local map books which usually include list of attractions and such. T
(#7 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-15-2009, 12:49 PM

Go to Konan, a store that is like a hardware store but they sell all kinds of things at good prices. They are everywhere in Osaka. But remember that sleeping bags in Japan are smaller than other places.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Will you be traveling through Kobe on your way towards Shikoku?

If so, you should check out the Mont Bell store in the Marine Pier outlet mall. They carry a huge selection of outdoor gear as well as a good selection of clearance items.

Mind you, Mont Bell isn't the cheapest stuff around but it's stuff that'll last.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-17-2009, 03:35 AM

just wanted to let you know how it went:
Was in Tokyu Hands first and found a futon for 5000 and a blanket for the same. There were some cheaper one but they were very thin.
I then went to 2 Outdoorshops in the Ekimae Shopping center in front of Osakastation and was shocked by the prices for campinggear. The cheapest inflatable mat was over 5000 and the cheapest sleeping bag as well. Because i will have a car (and sleep in the car not a tent) i decided to better look further into the Futon/blanket thing.
Went to Muji inside Hankyu Department store and they had a Futon for 5000 as well.
Last stop was Loft wich had a bit less choice than Tokyu hands and so i ended up buying the 5000 Futon and Blanket from Tokyu hands.

Thanks again for the quick and helpfull answers to everyone!
And i will try to get rid of a futon (100x200) and a blanket (150x210) in about a month in the Kansai Area

(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-18-2009, 12:43 AM

there is GARE just below JR Osaka Station and Mont Bell just across the street.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------