JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Snarch (Offline)
New to JF

Visa Questions/Teaching Job - 05-15-2009, 04:50 PM

Hey guys,
I was just offered a teaching position in southwestern Japan. They want me to come over as a tourist and work until my Certificate of Eligibility is ready and then go to Korea to get my visa. Is this standard? Could it be a scam? I willing to go and take a risk but is there anything I should watch out for? Do my credit cards work in Japan in order for me to get out if it falls apart?
Thanks in advance for your help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarch View Post
Hey guys,
I was just offered a teaching position in southwestern Japan. They want me to come over as a tourist and work until my Certificate of Eligibility is ready and then go to Korea to get my visa. Is this standard? Could it be a scam? I willing to go and take a risk but is there anything I should watch out for? Do my credit cards work in Japan in order for me to get out if it falls apart?
Thanks in advance for your help.
That sounds very suspicious to me. If you are a legitimate employee hired legally there is no need to go to Korea. I do not know if it is a "scam" but I would investigate further.

If you begin work with a tourist visa you are breaking the law, and can be deported.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-16-2009, 12:09 AM

Going to Korea for a day in order to change visa status is very common.

However, you should not do any work while you are on the tourist visa, since legally, you are not allowed to work and they could maybe get away without paying for any work you do during that time. After all, what are you going to do, complain to the Japanese police that you were not paid while you were breaking the law?

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
you should not do any work while you are on the tourist visa, since legally, you are not allowed to work and they could maybe get away without paying for any work you do during that time. After all, what are you going to do, complain to the Japanese police that you were not paid while you were breaking the law?
I highly suspect this is a scam. I hear lots of people fall for this, including someone I know who went to Australia looking for work. Another friend was being lured into this scam in Korea and again in Taiwan but of course he recognized it right away from being well informed by people who have unfortunately fallen for this. Basically, same scam that happens all over the world.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
charosian (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to charosian Send a message via Yahoo to charosian Send a message via Skype™ to charosian
05-16-2009, 07:03 PM

whats the company?
do they have a website?

http://8bitplus.blogspot.com/ Check it out, its fresh!