JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kisftw (Offline)
~PwRrNgR~

Send a message via AIM to kisftw Send a message via MSN to kisftw Send a message via Yahoo to kisftw Send a message via Skype™ to kisftw
Living in Japan? - 05-20-2009, 04:26 AM

I have no idea how to phrase this, but I hear it's expensive to live in Japan, so if anyone is planning on moving over there alone, or what ever, maybe we can talk and be roommates or something. But I really would like help and knowledge. Or if there is someone in Japan living alone that wants a roommate. But I don't know. I really have no clue. You probably have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm kind of running off on a tangent here...
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2009, 06:19 AM

Use the search tool... and Google. Do some research. If you want to live in Japan you gotta make a path, that includes finding information.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kisftw (Offline)
~PwRrNgR~

Send a message via AIM to kisftw Send a message via MSN to kisftw Send a message via Yahoo to kisftw Send a message via Skype™ to kisftw
05-20-2009, 06:20 AM

I've tried. The closest thing I can reach with google is this website. And if you guys can't help me, I'm done for.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-20-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisftw View Post
I have no idea how to phrase this, but I hear it's expensive to live in Japan, so if anyone is planning on moving over there alone, or what ever, maybe we can talk and be roommates or something. But I really would like help and knowledge. Or if there is someone in Japan living alone that wants a roommate. But I don't know. I really have no clue. You probably have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm kind of running off on a tangent here...
This has been brought up many times previously.

No more expensive than any other Western country, although other Asian countries would be cheaper, but then again, so would the pay level if you are working.

Eggs, Toilet paper, Bread, Bicycle, Skateboard, small car, rental, not really any difference, and then of course different prefectures and cities vary accordingly.

Cheers - Oz
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2009, 06:22 AM

The question is not whether it is expensive to live in Japan, but whether or not you are employable. Even if you have a million dollars in the bank, that doesn't mean you can live in Japan. You need a visa, which means you need a job. Basically that means you need a college degree. This is where you need to start.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Atakicat (Offline)
JF Nomad

Send a message via AIM to Atakicat
05-20-2009, 06:23 AM

Don't give up, getting to Japan can be a tough ordeal.. Give yourself time, stick to your guns, an it'll pull together
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2009, 06:26 AM

Like I said, use the search tool. This forum has plenty of old threads relating to this. You might want to google up guest houses in Japan as well if you want to know what kind of costs you will be facing.

As for daily life, on occassion I can spend as little as 6000円 (run that through a currency converter if you dont know,) in a week. On average I spend about 7000-8000円 per week.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kisftw (Offline)
~PwRrNgR~

05-20-2009, 06:42 AM

It's a little difficult to search, if you don't know what you are searching for. You understand?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisftw View Post
It's a little difficult to search, if you don't know what you are searching for. You understand?
It is also difficult to help you if you don't know what you are searching for.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Yoite (Offline)
JF Regular

05-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Like a lot of people already said, it depends on where you live. It’s the same idea in every country.
First things first : why do you want yo live in Japan, what motivates you etc etc. Think about that and make a well organized list, print it to just motivate yourself. What kind education did you follow or are you still following ? Or if you have got a job, what kind of job etc. Furthermore, google is really useful, I have found several useful sites with it, including .

Well, when you pass this stage, it is time for you to search for a job. Try to first get a job and then you can search for a room (I don’t know if it’s possible to get a job without speaking the language). Generally, the country is more tolerant when you already organized yourself. Also try to build up your economics meanwhile to just get a ticket when you’re ready and some spare cash in case you get in trouble.

Ok, I think I got a bit carried away....sorry ....