JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shallowdreamer21 (Offline)
New to JF

About schools? - 07-31-2009, 05:11 AM

So, I'm moving to Japan from Germany. I'm still in high school or 9th grade and I wanted to know what it was like at the schools. I heard from a friend school starts at 9 in the morning and doesn't get out till 6 in the afternoon. Can someone fill me in?

Also if anyone can teach me Japanese, I would be grateful. I can only speak English and German.

Ich liebe dich, vergessen Sie nicht mich.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-31-2009, 09:26 AM

I'm not sure how it would work, but I'm sure you'd need to be fluent in the language, and I doubt one could learn such a language that extensively in such a short amount of time. Seems an international school would be more suitable.

Now, are you literally moving to Japan and going to transfer into a school, or do you want to move to Japan and transfer into a school?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
shallowdreamer21 (Offline)
New to JF

07-31-2009, 09:57 AM

I'm moving to Japan in October and transfering. Thank you!

Ich liebe dich, vergessen Sie nicht mich.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallowdreamer21 View Post
So, I'm moving to Japan from Germany. I'm still in high school or 9th grade and I wanted to know what it was like at the schools. I heard from a friend school starts at 9 in the morning and doesn't get out till 6 in the afternoon. Can someone fill me in?

Also if anyone can teach me Japanese, I would be grateful. I can only speak English and German.
Can you provide more information? Why and by what means are you moving to Japan?

If you speak no Japanese you will likely be put in an international school where the classes are taught in English and you can take Japanese courses. Simply being dropped into the environment doesn't mean you'll speak the language; you need training. And it takes a while. It all just depends on how much work and dedication you put into it. It goes ten times faster if your'e actually in Japan, though, so study hard!

Japanese schools are an interesting beast. There is always the problem of bullying, which, being a foreigner, you will absolutely face. The curriculum is based around memorizing only the facts and information that are required to pass entrance exams. That's basically it. You probably got a much broader education in Europe than you would in Japan. On the other hand, Japan has an extremely deep and rich culture and history, which is taught in the school system, so that's certainly a great way to really dive headfirst into it. Though like I said, you'll probably be in an international school, so you won't have to memorize dates and periods in Japanese.