LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
sdbri (Offline)
New to JF

12-09-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
One specific question I have: about how much should it cost to mail a 32x19x17-inch storage bin full of my stuff from the States to Japan?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Is there any reason you can't check in this bin or 1-2 suitcases on your flight? I bought something even bigger than that and it was free. Some airlines will charge you $100 if it's oversized or over your 2 suitcase limit. You're basically robbing the airline when you do this.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-09-2009, 08:24 AM

I mailed several boxes of personal items to Japan before I moved here. The boxes were similar in size to the one you are describing, and they cost about $100 each to send by priority mail.

Flying with an oversize or additional bag can be costly. I checked-in a bicycle case in addition to my 2 checked bags, the bike case cost an extra $150, and had they known there was a bicycle in it (I lied and said it contained camera equipment), it would have been an additional $150. One of my suitcases was deemed to be overweight, so I had to pay a further $75.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Gotdumplings (Offline)
New to JF

12-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Wow, I've always wanted to move to Japan, but I haven't looked into it yet. I wanted to move to an urban area, like Tokyo. The only problem is that I have a professional job here and I'm not sure how much extra licensing it would take to be able to practice the same thing in Japan.

What have you done so far to prepare for the move?
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Air (Offline)
New to JF

12-11-2009, 06:21 PM

What have I done? Well, I just landed in the country yesterday. I'll post my results later on. Thanks again for the advice everyone.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Air (Offline)
New to JF

03-16-2010, 06:04 AM

Update: Immigration granted me a cert of eligibility to stay in Japan for a year. Also, the base accepted me to the school with no problem, and I got my veterans' benefits in my bank account. I'm not going to live rich, but I think my expenses will be okay if my girlfriend has a job (she does) and I can find work doing odd jobs and etc. This was such a crazy plan (and I'm not sure if anyone else would have the same success), but I'm glad it worked out.

!!!!!!!!!!!
(#36 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-16-2010, 06:32 AM

I am glad things are working out.