LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-08-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyico View Post
PM me it if you all must! Of all of your issues with me!
I prefer you respond publicly to the statements you make publicly.

If you cannot back them up, please retract them.

My responses were clear and direct. I expect yours can be the same.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

12-08-2009, 05:24 PM

I would certainly disagree with your statement that a Japanese university degree is better than an American one. From my understanding once you get into university in Japan its pretty easy, its the getting in which is hard.
With a degree from an American university I would argue you are much better placed to get whatever job as employers are much more familiar with it.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyico (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Nyico Send a message via MSN to Nyico Send a message via Yahoo to Nyico Send a message via Skype™ to Nyico
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Everyone will have a different experince in school okay!!
Just let it go all ready and assist the person at hand here, Shigeji!
The only good I seem to have said was to try and meet students who already attend Shigeji's particular school, but anyway people, just let it go already omg!!!
It doesn't take all of this!!

Whats life without LOVE
It gives one STRENGTH,HARMONY,PEACE,COMPASSION,HOPE...It gives the SOUL a reason to continue LIVING! It gives the soul POWER!! The ULTIMATE POWER the POWER that all search desperately for everyday! When you find it never let go! TREAT it right,GIVE it your undivided attention,ALL of your time,make it HAPPY as it has made you,and REMEMBER realize what you have don't ruerin it CHARISH,TRUST,and RESPECT it for all that it is. Be as ONE!!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-08-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Everyone will have a different experince in school okay!!
Just let it go all ready and assist the person at hand here, Shigeji!
The only good I seem to have said was to try and meet students who already attend Shigeji's particular school, but anyway people, just let it go already omg!!!
It doesn't take all of this!!
Next time don't say things without being able to back them up.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
greenteajunkie (Offline)
JF Regular

12-22-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I prefer you respond publicly to the statements you make publicly.

If you cannot back them up, please retract them.

My responses were clear and direct. I expect yours can be the same.
What is your problem? You obviously have personal issues.
Depending on their major, if it was say graphic design or comic/illustration, it would be more beneficial to get a degree in Japan. Besides, whether the statement of it being worth more was an opinion, it doesn't matter cause this is a public forum open to everyone's thoughts, opinions, etc. and same goes for the ice cream thing. Just becuase your acquaintances were fond of alcoholic bevegaves doesn't mean you can attack newbies for liking ice cream.

Perhaps stars fall, just as the rain

Until they burn on a windowpane

The grief of loss no written place

It is simply painted, on my face.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenteajunkie View Post
I think he was on the money. Her statements were bias against American schools.

Quote:
Depending on their major, if it was say graphic design or comic/illustration, it would be more beneficial to get a degree in Japan. Besides, whether the statement of it being worth more was an opinion, it doesn't matter cause this is a public forum open to everyone's thoughts, opinions, etc. and same goes for the ice cream thing. Just becuase your acquaintances were fond of alcoholic bevegaves doesn't mean you can attack newbies for liking ice cream.
It will be fun of course. Beneficial, yes, possibly depending on the degree, Disagree on the degree worth more unless they are going to a 東大 Tōdai like school. Very competitive.

Link: Global University Rankings

Many Japan universities socialize in the university. Malls and Ice cream sounds American. Everyone has their device though. I think MMM was just saying alcholic beverages was more the average for university students both in American and in Japan. More so for Japanese I believe as you literally have to be able to drink something to be socially accepted in Japanese circles - even if it is just nursing one beer during the whole event.

Quote:
All I can say is that I know going to college in Japan is very demanding, but it'll be fun! Besides a college education in Japan is worth way more than an American one and you're not debating your grade with your teacher(s) everyday, you're actually learning. Just don't worry about it!! Try talking with students who already attend the college and find ways to relieve stress from school via ice cream, video games, music, the mall, etc.
Good luck with it all!! ^-^
Your problems in a American university sounds like a personal problem with that university and / or instructor OR it is simply a low ranking university.

News flash: The same is true in Japanese universities.

Too often I hear students complain how universities aren't doing it right and they are not learning anything. Some people just aren't cut out for a 4 year degree or for the degree they are seeking. Or they simply don't know how to learn or study.

Know that almost all instructors at high ranking Japanese Universities studied at American or other high ranking Universities.

Keep in mind less than 50% of Japanese go to university. Not all Japanese go to high school. High school in Japan is like more like Pre-major university in America. After graduating a prestigious high school with high marks, could you ever think of going to a high ranking Japanese University. In general, university at the an average Japanese university is more for Japanese to find themselves and/or to study abroad. The average ranking Japanese university, on average, aren't very serious internally.

In the end though, the student is really what they make of their studies.

In reality, in the U.S., degrees in the average public and private industry hold less and less weight. Which is a huge problem.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-22-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Clint, you took the words out of my mouth.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts.

When people say things as fact without backing them up, I ask for sources. If they won't cite their sources, I'll tell them not to say it.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-23-2009, 01:14 AM

University in Japan is a joke. Japan's best universities are not the equivalent of a mediocre university in America or the UK. The entrance exams are difficult, but once you are in, the hard work ends. Most Japanese university students spend their college years traveling and having fun, studying seems to be something of an afterthought.

Going to a good Japanese university will only look good on a Japanese resume. It will do you no good in Europe or America where university graduates are required to actually have some knowledge.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-23-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
University in Japan is a joke. Japan's best universities are not the equivalent of a mediocre university in America or the UK. The entrance exams are difficult, but once you are in, the hard work ends. Most Japanese university students spend their college years traveling and having fun, studying seems to be something of an afterthought.

Going to a good Japanese university will only look good on a Japanese resume. It will do you no good in Europe or America where university graduates are required to actually have some knowledge.
I know there are difficult courses of study but what Sangetsu says falls in line with what I observed. The difficult thing is getting in. The celebration happens at acceptance to a university, and not so much at graduation.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Aerandor (Offline)
New to JF

02-11-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post

Is this true even of Toudai? If so, I'm a bit concerned. I'm working on my bachelor's here in the U.S., with the intent to get my master's in Tokyo. I'm still planning on moving back to the U.S. after that though (my wife only promised 2 years in Japan) but will a master's degree in Electrical Engineering count for squat here if I get it in Japan?