LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-11-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerandor View Post
Is this true even of Toudai? If so, I'm a bit concerned. I'm working on my bachelor's here in the U.S., with the intent to get my master's in Tokyo. I'm still planning on moving back to the U.S. after that though (my wife only promised 2 years in Japan) but will a master's degree in Electrical Engineering count for squat here if I get it in Japan?
No, it is not as true of Tokyo University as it is at other schools. Tokyo U. is the most prestigious university in the country. When you say "masters in Tokyo" do you mean Tokyo University?

A master's degree from Tokyo U. is a red carpet in Japan, but it isn't the same as getting it at MIT in the US, I would think, just because not as many people have the name recognition. Why not get your master's in the US if that is where you will be living?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Aerandor (Offline)
New to JF

02-11-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
No, it is not as true of Tokyo University as it is at other schools. Tokyo U. is the most prestigious university in the country. When you say "masters in Tokyo" do you mean Tokyo University?

A master's degree from Tokyo U. is a red carpet in Japan, but it isn't the same as getting it at MIT in the US, I would think, just because not as many people have the name recognition. Why not get your master's in the US if that is where you will be living?
Yes, I meant a master's degree from Tokyo University. MIT probably would be slightly better as it is one (of two) of the universities ranked higher in the world than Tokyo University (Source: globaluniversitiesranking.org). I plan on getting my doctorate eventually here in the U.S., so the name recognition isn't as huge of an issue. The reason I think I would still like to get one in Japan is I plan on continuing to use my (presumably by then) developed skills in Japanese language, culture and business in my career by either A. Working for an American company with ties to Japan or B. Working for a Japanese company with offices in the U.S. Believe me, I'd love to stay over in Japan for longer, I'm just betting my wife isn't going to completely fall in love with it to the extent that she would want to stay there indefinitely.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-11-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerandor View Post
Yes, I meant a master's degree from Tokyo University. MIT probably would be slightly better as it is one (of two) of the universities ranked higher in the world than Tokyo University (Source: globaluniversitiesranking.org). I plan on getting my doctorate eventually here in the U.S., so the name recognition isn't as huge of an issue. The reason I think I would still like to get one in Japan is I plan on continuing to use my (presumably by then) developed skills in Japanese language, culture and business in my career by either A. Working for an American company with ties to Japan or B. Working for a Japanese company with offices in the U.S. Believe me, I'd love to stay over in Japan for longer, I'm just betting my wife isn't going to completely fall in love with it to the extent that she would want to stay there indefinitely.
As I have said on many previous threads, I have been a student of Japanese for 20 years, have lived in Japan, taught Japanese, translated thousands of pages of material from novels to technical manuals into English from Japanese, and I doubt I could sit in a room for 6 hours and pass a Japanese associate's degree college entrance exam, much less the exam for Tokyo University.

Unless you are applying through another university as an exchange program (assuming they have that) I think applying directly to Tokyo U. and passing the entrance exam is going to be a very very difficult challenge. Less than 10% of the students are foreigners....
(#24 (permalink))
Old
alexlovesrock (Offline)
JF Regular

Hey - 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyico View Post
All I can say is that I know going to college in Japan is very demanding, but it'll be fun! Besides a college education in Japan is worth way more than an American one and you're not debating your grade with your teacher(s) everyday, you're actually learning. Just don't worry about it!! Try talking with students who already attend the college and find ways to relieve stress from school via ice cream, video games, music, the mall, etc.
Good luck with it all!! ^-^

I hope it works out for you... But actually I found that when i Studied abroad in Japan school was MUCCCHHH easier than in the US or China (where I usually study) and that courses were quite easy. No one disrespected the teacher but no teacher was held to a strict standard of actually teaching the students more knowledge than was contained in the book. Also i never heard of anyone failing .... dun wanna lose face i guess?
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Aerandor (Offline)
New to JF

02-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As I have said on many previous threads, I have been a student of Japanese for 20 years, have lived in Japan, taught Japanese, translated thousands of pages of material from novels to technical manuals into English from Japanese, and I doubt I could sit in a room for 6 hours and pass a Japanese associate's degree college entrance exam, much less the exam for Tokyo University.

Unless you are applying through another university as an exchange program (assuming they have that) I think applying directly to Tokyo U. and passing the entrance exam is going to be a very very difficult challenge. Less than 10% of the students are foreigners....
I've spent some time looking into the numbers and the requirements, so I'm somewhat aware that it is indeed difficult. I plan to start taking copies of previous entrance exams (available to buy online) to make sure that I can get in in three years. The one thing I'm not particularly sure on is if there are any differences in the requirements to get in as a graduate student vs. an undergraduate student?