JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JapanKieran (Offline)
New to JF

Hiratsuka city Urgent - 02-02-2010, 04:58 AM

My new employers have offered me what seems like a very good position in Hiratsuka city, any information on this city would be greatly appreciated. I have four days to either accept or decline...

Location compared to Tokyo? Things to do? Will I be the only foreign person etc etc

Any infomation would be appreciated....thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-02-2010, 05:16 AM

Dunno why you keep mentioning Tokyo. I live in mid-town Tokyo but if I had a choice, I'd much rather live in Hiratsuka.

Hiratsuka is the surfing capital of Japan. Depending on where in Hiratsuka, you will have an ocean-view apartment/house. The beaches, sunshine, breezes, etc. are enough reasons to want to live there.

In Tokyo, you get smog, traffic jams, noises, busy and indifferent people like myself, etc. It's incomparably much more relaxing around Hiratsuka. If you want, you can easily go to Tokyo on weekends.

Will you be the only foreigner there? Are you serious? Where do you get that kinda info?

EDIT: Adding info I just found...

The City of Hiratsuka has 4,870 foreign residents representing 69 countries. The city's official website is in 9 languages. That's more impressive than what NYC provides if you ask me.

Last edited by Sashimister : 02-02-2010 at 05:52 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-02-2010, 06:23 AM

I don`t know anything about Hiratsuka, don`t live anywhere close, or the like...
But I did want to comment on this.

It seems there are a lot of misconceptions about Japan. As western media rarely mentions anywhere other than Tokyo (And if they do, they will state it`s distance from Tokyo. I had a laugh about that one when there was an earthquake literally on the other side of Japan, but they were still saying "... miles from Tokyo!" on the western news.)
I don`t know the OP or his thoughts on this... But I have met people outside of Japan who imagined the country as being the big city of Tokyo where everything is - and the rest of the country being rural mountain villages without utilities and definitely without anyone foreign. Somewhat along the lines of very rural China.

Japan is a thoroughly modern country. You can get from pretty much anywhere to pretty much anywhere else quickly and with relative ease. I live far from Tokyo, but if I wanted to blow the money to pop over there on the weekends it would be a short trip on the shinkansen. (50 minutes, I think)
There are foreign residents all over the country. I would be utterly shocked to hear of a town somewhere that didn`t have a single foreigner living in it.

If you`re dead set on living in Tokyo - consider the reasons why. Is it because you`ve only heard of Tokyo? Only think there is a foreign community in Tokyo? etc...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.