JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
nomadic (Offline)
New to JF

Cool Moving to Kyoto without a job... STUPID? - 03-02-2010, 02:20 AM

Hi Everyone,

Question: I really want to live in Kyoto. A few people have told me to get a work visa here in Canada, and then job search on the ground.

**Most schools dont want to deal with your visa.
**I can be there to see/check the school/conditions/curriculum.

AM I STUPID? Going to Japan without a solid job?

I have 4 years experience in ESL, A TESOL certification, worked in 3 countries, and a 4 year degree.

THANKS!

Joel.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

03-02-2010, 02:46 AM

You'll do fine. lots of ppl went there with worst. basically if you have a uni degree it will help your chances to stay there a lot. try being a teacher i'd reccomend, learn the language than achieve ur profession.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-02-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
Hi Everyone,

Question: I really want to live in Kyoto. A few people have told me to get a work visa here in Canada, and then job search on the ground.

**Most schools dont want to deal with your visa.
**I can be there to see/check the school/conditions/curriculum.

AM I STUPID? Going to Japan without a solid job?

I have 4 years experience in ESL, A TESOL certification, worked in 3 countries, and a 4 year degree.

THANKS!

Joel.
To get a work visa, you need a sponsor. To get a sponsor you need a job. Look for work from Canada, and you will be able to go to Japan with job in hand.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-02-2010, 03:04 AM

Stupid? No. Less than ideal? Yes.

Kyoto is proper is actually not a good place to be looking for a job. JET has control over most contracts with schools, because Kyoto is the cultural center of Japan. In addition, it is a place many people (including yours truly) who already are set up in the area would like to move to.

Jobs are rarer period, even for people with visas and experience, and more people are competing for them.

You would be much better off getting a job near Kyoto, and trying to get there after you have more experience in the area.

I'll note, we're hiring, and we do visa sponsorship. One of my coworkers just got a job working for a university in Osaka, and he will need to be replaced.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

03-02-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post
You'll do fine. lots of ppl went there with worst. basically if you have a uni degree it will help your chances to stay there a lot. try being a teacher i'd reccomend, learn the language than achieve ur profession.
Because you have loads of experience working in Japan....

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-02-2010, 08:24 AM

If you do move to Kyoto without a job offer in-hand, be sure to have a lot of money saved up. It'll take a couple of months at least just to get a paycheck even if you find a job immediately after arriving. Also, the move-in costs for Japanese apartments are very high, even a $500-a-month apartment will set you back as much as $2000 to move in. You'll also have to face day-to-day expenses for food and transportation, I wouldn't come to Japan without a job unless I had at least $5000 to see me through.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
03-03-2010, 04:27 PM

If you are under 31 you can get the working holiday visa for Japan wich will allow you to live and work in Japan for up to 1 year. Because your employee wouldn´t have to bother with your visa your chances of getting a job might be better than without the visa. After the year you might´ve found someone to sponsor you. Here the link with some infos Working Holiday Visas for Canadians Going to Japan

You´ll need to be max 30 to apply for the visa and you have to enter the country before you turn 32

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-03-2010, 07:55 PM

I would recommend finding a job before you move anywhere, even if it is just to another town in your home country. Just hoping something will land in your lap sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-04-2010, 09:50 AM

People, places and things are generally fucked up anywhere you dip your hook.
Saying that, I would suggest that many an oppotunity is to be found in Japan.
I cannot speak for Kyoto, but in Tokyo you would find work.

As pointed out before, you would need a buffer of $2000 just to make sure you can survive 1 month and at least $5000 to make sure you can secure a good base of operations in a big city.

many other options are avilable but each with their own issues.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Decen (Offline)
New to JF

03-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Sorry to be controversial on my first post, but i think you guys are wrong about the amount the OP would have to save. My wife and I just moved back out here in October, It wasn't until January that she started working. Didn't get her first check till the middle of February. She is Japanese and was only out of the country for 3 years. The only way we survived is that her parents are basically loaded. As well as connected in the community, so I was able to get work at a carrot processing place. I just don't think you could prepare for something like this...