JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jlr247 (Offline)
New to JF

Question Going on JET while married - 03-21-2010, 02:43 AM

Hello everyone! I am currently completing my bachelor's degree this year, with the intention of getting a second degree in education after that. So, I should be graduating for good in two years (teacher's college is a two year program). I am interested in potentially teaching in ESL classrooms in Canada, and I have been looking at overseas experience: both to experience teaching ESL, and to experience things like culture shock that my students would be going through. The JET program looks like something I would love to do, since it would help me to do all of the above plus give me the opportunity to live in Japan (I find the country interesting - and no, I don't watch anime).

In two years though, I hope to be married. From what I can tell online, I would be able to bring my husband on a dependent visa, which can allow one to work for either 20 or 28 hours (I read different numbers from different sources) with permission. If someone has a dependent visa, but not a degree, is it even possible to find part-time work in Japan? Does anyone know of married couples where one person is an ALT and the other is not? If so, was the non-ALT able to find things to do during the day?

Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-22-2010, 08:57 AM

I knew a married JET when I was there, and the husband got a job with Aeon private English school while his wife was a JET.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr247 View Post
Hello everyone! I am currently completing my bachelor's degree this year, with the intention of getting a second degree in education after that. So, I should be graduating for good in two years (teacher's college is a two year program). I am interested in potentially teaching in ESL classrooms in Canada, and I have been looking at overseas experience: both to experience teaching ESL, and to experience things like culture shock that my students would be going through. The JET program looks like something I would love to do, since it would help me to do all of the above plus give me the opportunity to live in Japan (I find the country interesting - and no, I don't watch anime).

In two years though, I hope to be married. From what I can tell online, I would be able to bring my husband on a dependent visa, which can allow one to work for either 20 or 28 hours (I read different numbers from different sources) with permission. If someone has a dependent visa, but not a degree, is it even possible to find part-time work in Japan? Does anyone know of married couples where one person is an ALT and the other is not? If so, was the non-ALT able to find things to do during the day?

Thanks!
If you husband also has a degree, it may be easier to have him enrolled in the JET program. With a bachelor degree (what do you major in?) and a master in education, you probably will qualify for something better than a JET.

I have seen some stores which hire English speaking staff. If he doesn't have a degree, this could be an option as long as he doesn't need the required company to sponsor him.

A lot of store alone omotesando have english speaking staff. I ran into an australian girl last time i was there
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jlr247 (Offline)
New to JF

03-23-2010, 01:15 AM

Sorry, I guess I should have specified. I am going to have a B.Sc. in math, and then a bachelors of education once everything is all said and done. He does not have a degree. Thanks for your replies, both of you!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-23-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr247 View Post
Sorry, I guess I should have specified. I am going to have a B.Sc. in math, and then a bachelors of education once everything is all said and done. He does not have a degree. Thanks for your replies, both of you!
Will you consider getting a Master in education? A friend of mine (we are from Toronto Canada) has a bachelor in Math (from U of T), as the same situation as you, if he is to take a degree in education in Canada, it will only be a second bachelor, instead he went to a University in Buffalo that offered him a Master in education. He told me that the tuition isn't that much more.

The reason why I said that is that, with a science degree and a fully qualified education degree, it seem such a waste of your skills to consider only JET. With a master, you open up that much more possibilities. Just my 2 cents......

Not having a degree is not a big deal as long as he doesn't need any sponsorhip by the company, you probably have seen responses by others and myself on the forum explaining why, but definitely, "Foreigner" working in sales is not un-heard of, it is rather typical in tourist areas, and in some cases onsen resort, as long as the company hiring him doesn't need to pay out extra money for sponsorship. Being able to communicate (Verbally) in Japanese will be a +