JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-04-2010, 09:34 PM

I do know that Swedes are able to apply for work visas but I'm sure that you don't need years of experience for one of them.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
LM20 (Offline)
New to JF

07-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willgoestocollege View Post
I do know that Swedes are able to apply for work visas but I'm sure that you don't need years of experience for one of them.
Im pretty sure you need 10 years or it wouldnt be labeled as "skilled labourer visa".
(#23 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

07-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Are you sure that's what they're called in Sweden? I searched on Google for the Japanese embassy in your country and visited the official page translated in English and I saw there were no working holiday visa like you said but work visas just like it has on the UK version. Does it actually state you need years of experience for any of the types?
(#24 (permalink))
Old
LM20 (Offline)
New to JF

07-04-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Are you sure that's what they're called in Sweden? I searched on Google for the Japanese embassy in your country and visited the official page translated in English and I saw there were no working holiday visa like you said but work visas just like it has on the UK version. Does it actually state you need years of experience for any of the types?
The information on the offical site is a little vague, because they seem to have recently changed some stuff there.

Skilled Labour Working Visa,Foreign Cooking or Special Food Preparation, Architecture or Civil Engineering,Training Animals, Seabed Digging

Here it says you need 10 years, ive found other sites that says so to...

Didn't Japan make a government change recently? maybe it has something to do with that? it's weird they dont state the real requirements on mofa.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

07-04-2010, 10:15 PM

I'm pretty sure you can get a work visa if you find an employer in Japan who will sponsor you.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can get a work visa if you find an employer in Japan who will sponsor you.
Yes you can... if you have a degree or the 10yrs (or so) of relevant work experience.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Do a degree and be a qualified chef so your chances will be much higher. I seen a job ad for an executive chef position in Tokyo which pays you three million Yen a year and they will get you a work visa or permanent residency.
Landing something like this might be good as a starting point, but 3 million yen a year in Tokyo is not really all that great.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

07-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Yes you can... if you have a degree or the 10yrs (or so) of relevant work experience.
Then you should do a degree, it only takes four years.

Sorry I didn't know that you needed ten years of experience if you didn't had a degree for a work visa. Or you could try running a business in Japan?
(#29 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2010, 06:08 PM

FWIW, here are the eligibility requirements for a foreign chef in Japan :

A cook of a foreign food can apply for "Skilled Labor" when the person satisfies all of the following conditions:

The applicant has a contract with a public or private organization in Japan

The applicant receives no less reward than a Japanese national would receive for comparable work

The applicant has at least 10 years' experience in cooking that foreign food (including the period of time studying at an educational institution in a foreign country while majoring in the skills concerned)