JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Xeraph (Offline)
New to JF

Life as a grad student in Japan? - 12-02-2011, 10:07 PM

Hey everyone. I was recently accepted to Keio University and should be receiving the MEXT scholarship for it as a graduate student in engineering.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what to expect as a grad student in Japan. I have been told by a lot of friends/family that undergraduate is very relaxed and easy compared to US schools. What about graduate schools? Considering Japan has so few go to graduate school as it is seen as somewhat pointless, are they more relaxed or would they try to crack down more?

I plan to do research etc, but I would also like to have time to pursue interests and enjoy the clubs/culture. That is one of the reasons I am pursuing graduate school internationally... that and because I can do my research topic with the prof I will work with.

Thanks in advance
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Hikikomori (Offline)
JF Regular

12-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Hi,

first of all congratulations on getting accepted into Keio Uni, with the MEXT scholarship, that's so nice!

I don't know about Keio, but at my uni(Josai International uni, pretty low level compared to keio), some of my friends are grad students and they only have school like 2 times a week or so. How much "homework" they have, I wouldnt know. But at Josai, the grad program is pretty chill, or so I have heard.

紀元直して来いよ来いよ、俺らの家まで
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nolivas (Offline)
New to JF

12-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Hey can anyone tell me if pre-college visas still exist? I just got done talking to the ARC Language school in Tokyo and they told me that pre-college visas no longer exist. But I still see them available on the MOFA website.

Also is it true the maximum stay for a study abroad student is 2 years? or can student visas be renewed.