LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
mamamam (Offline)
New to JF

09-14-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
To answer your questions:

- I am totally fluent, although my handwriting skills could use a little polishing. --; I`m good enough that no one can tell over the phone or intercom.
- I never use English, unless I am online or talking with someone else whose first language is English/can speak better English than Japanese... Which is around once every 3 months. Our home life is 100% in Japanese.
- Japanese citizenship is not an easy thing to get, I`m still in the paperwork stage. If you`re from one of the participating countries, you don`t even need a visa for a 3 month stay.
- I am not and have absolutely no plans to become an English teacher. (Although I did work part time as one for a bit to save money for our move. NEVER AGAIN!!!) If you actually want to learn Japanese and have a life... Do not, I repeat, DO NOT be an English teacher in Japan. You will be speaking simple English 99% of the day, and end up hanging out with other teachers all the time - you`d do better to stay at home and study alone. Plus it seems like most of the people who do come to Japan to be teachers hate Japan and just want to make a bunch of money to take home. Seriously, they all seem to bash Japan left and right.

- My life now is quite wonderful. We own a home with a YARD (A big thing in Japan), have lots of cool stuff, and I`m really truly happy.

Hello Nyororin,
i like your way, you seems to be open minded, which is not usual in that part of world. Nyororin, we -me and my wife- are building new house and she would like to implement there the japanese "genius loci". I have only general idea what´s going on even i have lots of catalogues and magazines on japanese interiors/exteriors. I have the master plan, but am missing the real life, those little differences which make the THING. What i´m looking for is a tip or advice how to catch the genius loci either in form of an personal experience or as a link on some webage with photos, comments, etc.

Cheers
Robert
Old
nick149 (Offline)
New to JF

09-18-2009, 04:54 AM

Hey I how are you?I wanted to ask my mom is a teacher in kindergarden and worked in newspaper many years my question is is there a way for me and my mom to go in japan???she wants to 'go away' from Greece!!!
Old
raider94 (Offline)
New to JF

About Japan - 09-19-2009, 12:16 PM

I started a blog here about life in Japan, from yours truly

Redneck Adventures in Japan

Enjoy
Old
AoiLove (Offline)
New to JF

Location: I love in arizona and im going to stay in japan in the fall of 2012
09-23-2009, 01:10 PM

OMG im moving to japan in 2012 and im so ready!

do you have to speak fluent Japanese?
How do you get citizenship in japan if you from america?
Is it cold?
Do people look down at americans?

sorry for all the questions butim excited! me and my best friend are gonna stay with her brothers and our friend kai in Okinawa

Thanks

AOI<3
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

09-23-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoiLove View Post
OMG im moving to japan in 2012 and im so ready!

do you have to speak fluent Japanese?
How do you get citizenship in japan if you from america?
Is it cold?
Do people look down at americans?

sorry for all the questions butim excited! me and my best friend are gonna stay with her brothers and our friend kai in Okinawa

Thanks
I'm afraid you can't just pack your bags and move to Japan. You need to graduate from a 4-year university with a bachelor's degree first, and then be hired by a company in Japan, so that you'll receive a working visa. If you go to Japan without a visa, you'll only be allowed to stay for 90 days.

And how could you say you're ready to live in Okinawa if you have to ask the question "is it cold?".

郷に入っては郷に従え
Old
nick149 (Offline)
New to JF

09-29-2009, 01:08 PM

Hey how are you?I have a question well my mom is a teacher in kindergarden but worked in newspapers for many years so here is my question...is there any way for me and my mom to go in japan???
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
09-30-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick149 View Post
Hey how are you?I have a question well my mom is a teacher in kindergarden but worked in newspapers for many years so here is my question...is there any way for me and my mom to go in japan???
I suppose so. She has a "trade" for the most part. She has a lot of experience in journalism and she does have teaching experience. Since she's obviously licensed to teach, she could try getting a job at an International school over there. She then will have a work visa. As for you...I'm assuming you're still a child and a dependent. Seems a parent coming over with her child wouldn't be much of a problem.
Old
Mortry (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-30-2009, 05:22 AM

I also want to go to Japan in 2012
through an exchange program..
But my parents want me to go to university first,
they're like: 'You can go to Japan when you're graduated' (from university)
I don't think they understand that I want to go to an Japanese High school,
and that the maximum age is 18 to go on an exchange 4 that...

Anyone got any tips 4 me?
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-30-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortry View Post
I also want to go to Japan in 2012
through an exchange program..
But my parents want me to go to university first,
they're like: 'You can go to Japan when you're graduated' (from university)
I don't think they understand that I want to go to an Japanese High school,
and that the maximum age is 18 to go on an exchange 4 that...

Anyone got any tips 4 me?
Why in the world would you want to go to a Japanese high school?

It's NOTHING like in the animes. I promise you. Nearly everyone hates it.

Just do a study abroad program in college.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-30-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Why in the world would you want to go to a Japanese high school?

It's NOTHING like in the animes. I promise you. Nearly everyone hates it.

Just do a study abroad program in college.
High school is high school no matter where you go - if you`re the type who hates school, you`ll hate it just as much in Japan.

That said, I enjoyed Japanese high school a WHOLE lot more than I enjoyed any time spent in high school in the US.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.