JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Relationship Talk (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/relationship-talk/)
-   -   Interracial relationships (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/relationship-talk/13453-interracial-relationships.html)

Joedirt 03-17-2008 01:26 PM

Interracial relationships

Is it still a taboo for Japaneese men or women to date or marry someone that is not Japaneese?

Gackt21 03-17-2008 05:45 PM

The Japanese are starting to westernize so they are now starting to think like the western culture. At first they would only marry their own race and no outsiders.

Nagoyankee 03-17-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gackt21 (Post 429748)
The Japanese are starting to westernize so they are now starting to think like the western culture. At first they would only marry their own race and no outsiders.

We are NOT westernizing. We may be changing but to call it 'westernization' is inaccurate and too simplistic. How do we westernize when our population is 99.5% Japanese and the majority of the remaining 0.5% consists of other Oriental ethnic groups?

How do you expect to see so many of us marry foreigners when only 1 out of every 200 people in Japan are non-Japanese?

hypekstatic 03-17-2008 06:01 PM

Yeah i doubt that the YOUTH of Japan really cares.
Most of my Japanese friends are dating non asian girls,
and those are the ones that CAME from Japan.

hypekstatic 03-17-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 429759)
We are NOT westernizing. We may be changing but to call it 'westernization' is inaccurate and too simplistic. How do we westernize when our population is 99.5% Japanese and the majority of the remaining 0.5% consists of other Oriental ethnic groups?

How do you expect to see so many of us marry foreigners when only 1 out of every 200 people in Japan are non-Japanese?

I'm pretty sure they meant the CULTURE is westernized.
Alot of girls in Japan are into western culture fashion and style.
And they also enjoy celebrities from America like Paris Hilton or
Lindsay Lohan etc. They are westernizing in the younger generation,
not meaning that there are more Gaijins in Japan...

Joedirt 03-17-2008 06:43 PM

I have always found japaneese women to be so beautiful. I have wondered how they view white Americans now days. Would a japaneese family despise me or accept my whiteness.

Gackt21 03-17-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 429759)

I stand corrected and thank you for correcting me. I just heard that from my little brother.

aishiteru13 03-17-2008 11:42 PM

i think it's a good thing though
i don't think there's anything wrong with dating someone outside your "race"
i think what matters is the person and what they stand for rather than what they look like:D

xYinniex 03-18-2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedirt (Post 429783)
I have always found japaneese women to be so beautiful. I have wondered how they view white Americans now days. Would a japaneese family despise me or accept my whiteness.

not really, i mean lots of people are pretty open minded now, it's not the middle ages there. And plus, if you're a nice person, of course they'll like you. But they won't like you THAT much, considering that you are marrying their child/sibling, its the same in any other marriage, the family's always gona leave some room for apprehensions.

There are many places in Japan that are so metropolitan or even the old places where there will be 'white' tourists, they're not surprised by gaijins.

Kayci 03-18-2008 03:05 AM

I think it isn't such a taboo anymore...
Considering I'm a majorly white girl with a small-town japanese guy. ^^;

chachava 03-18-2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

I'm British white and my (Japanese) girlfriends parents really like me - they probably treat me better than my own parents back home hahaha

I doubt most Japanese people care what race you are - from my experiences, if you are a nice person then they will accept you for who you are :)

That said, I'm talking from Tokyo/Yokohama experience where gaijin are not exactly a new thing... I don't know how relevent my experiences would be if you were in a less tourist-oriented area

Lazarus 03-18-2008 03:27 AM

My girlfriend is half Japanese on her mother's side.
Now, just to show you how much things have changed, when her parents had their wedding ceremony, maybe 20ish years ago, it was so unheard of to have an interracial marriage with a Japanese person there was actually a local news article on it (here in Scotland). It had some silly title like "East meets West".

Nowadays, an interracial relationship like that is far less taboo in the west. Because of the western influence in today's popular culture in Japan, I imagine these kind of relationships are also perhaps not as big a deal as they once were.

...and dude, it's spelled "Japanese".

SSJup81 03-18-2008 04:30 AM

Quote:

Wouldn't that depend on the family in question? There might me some families that are really old fashioned and have a "purist" mentality and might not want a foreigner in the family to taint the bloodline. On the other hand, some families might just be racist.

kyo_9 03-18-2008 05:11 AM

hahaha.. I don't think people around the world think like that anymore..
taboo~~ just don't believe it..

cami71213 03-18-2008 05:15 AM

I hope that they do "allow" for Japanese guys to date women of other races because I'm Mexican/Hispanic/Latina/Chicana and I want to date an Japanese guy.:rheart:

kokunin 03-18-2008 02:08 PM

my japanese teacher in college is married to a chick from the states lol...it's funny we were talking yesterday abotu that, and he asked how did i know, becaus eyoru son is taller than you lol. And he was liek if i had a bigger wife what would you say, I said tsuyokunai mitai... and he was liek lol...Sensei omoshirokatta...lol

SSJup81 03-19-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyo_9 (Post 430213)
hahaha.. I don't think people around the world think like that anymore..
taboo~~ just don't believe it..

It's probably in the minority now-a-days, but it wouldn't surprise me if some people from older generations didn't agree with interracial dating/mixing/marriages.

zachart 03-19-2008 12:42 AM

to me the only thing that matters is if i know you, you were born as a girl, and you have to be at least semi hot!!!

kokunin 03-19-2008 01:12 AM

then the question comes, whats semi-hot? okay, i am dating a half girl already and she's cool, the light side of the family thinks I'm a danger to her mental state (although i have to say that girl is extremely dangerous on her own lol, seriously...) and the dark side of the family likes me because I'm blunt...

chachava 03-19-2008 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokunin (Post 430852)
then the question comes, whats semi-hot? okay, i am dating a half girl already and she's cool, the light side of the family thinks I'm a danger to her mental state (although i have to say that girl is extremely dangerous on her own lol, seriously...) and the dark side of the family likes me because I'm blunt...

light side? darkside?

Are you dating a jedi?

kokunin 03-19-2008 01:58 AM

white side
black side
and i used to destroy jedi knights lol...

MitcheruOtaku 03-19-2008 04:36 AM

I dated a lovely South Korean woman a while ago. I liked her very much.
She wanted me to go the South Korea to meet her father. I got very nervous.
I didn't think he would approve of me. But yes, I would love to meet a lovely
Japanese lady , if we were compatable, race does not matter.

zachart 03-20-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokunin (Post 430852)

semi-hot is almost hot but not quiete there!!!:eek: :eek:

kokunin 03-20-2008 04:22 PM

lol
that doesn't make since...but okay...

heroinreyn 03-21-2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypekstatic (Post 429763)

I'm pretty sure they meant the CULTURE is westernized.
Alot of girls in Japan are into western culture fashion and style.
And they also enjoy celebrities from America like Paris Hilton or
Lindsay Lohan etc. They are westernizing in the younger generation,
not meaning that there are more Gaijins in Japan...

what's a gaijin?

sasuke91 03-21-2008 06:46 AM

i think it means like , outsider ??

and also im a white dude and i dont really like white girls
i prefer asians :)

and atm im dating a japanese girl ^_^

Gerlandox 03-21-2008 11:14 AM

Hmm

I hate this nonsense about interracial relationships,
afterall we live on the same planet.
Does it really mater the color of your skin or eyes or hair...
I think not, Love makes no exeptions (people do) , youll only realize it when the world around you disappiers, and in that moment nothing else maters exept that girl.
G.

shoujobeat 03-27-2008 07:11 PM

I'm an African girl, well I always had crushes on east asian guys**even before I found out about japan anime etc..**

I hope is not bad for a japanese guy and a black girl to be together and I would like to if such a thing ever happened, but I have one very good avantage, that can allow me to marry or go out with a guy from another race n_~

anyways I do hope to be with a Japanese man**hopefully**one day:rheart:

Kathrin 03-28-2008 01:07 PM

AFAIK, a gaijin is a non-Japanese person, a foreigner...

Well, I'm single right now, but I wouldn't mind having a Japanese bf. To me, it's the character of a person, that's importance, not where they come from.

Liumingke 03-29-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayci (Post 430159)
I think it isn't such a taboo anymore...
Considering I'm a majorly white girl with a small-town japanese guy. ^^;

I agree. We all have preferences. I think most Japanese,Chinese,Korean, etc. prefer to marry or date there own race because there's a cultural understanding and comfort in it, however, some view as interracial dating and marriage as a way to learn other cultures and experience. In either case, I believe all relationships can success or fail depending on each others interests,expections, tolerance and love.

emiluvsjmusic 03-29-2008 07:24 AM

my japanese mum married my aussie dad like more than 20 years ago... :)

MissMisa 03-29-2008 08:15 AM

I think it's weird to like someone just because they're Japanese, and sort of aiming to go out with a Japanese person.

I think that you should just go with the flow in relationships! The right one will come along eventually, be it american, british, japanese, korean, chinese etc That should not be a factor when choosing relationships.

Saying that, some people are big on appearance. I'm one of those girls who genuinely doesn't care how a guy looks as long as they are sweet to me and treat me right.

pumpum 03-29-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMisa (Post 440126)
I think it's weird to like someone just because they're Japanese, and sort of aiming to go out with a Japanese person.

I think that you should just go with the flow in relationships! The right one will come along eventually, be it american, british, japanese, korean, chinese etc That should not be a factor when choosing relationships.

Saying that, some people are big on appearance. I'm one of those girls who genuinely doesn't care how a guy looks as long as they are sweet to me and treat me right.

awwww :p thats so cute !

MissMisa 03-29-2008 08:20 AM

Well it's the best way to be I think, you end up being with much nicer people and not just self-centered posers >.< [Not that every nice looking male is a self-centered poser]

Gaberdeen 03-29-2008 11:40 AM

"British" - there's a laugh.

Lump a load of dfferent de-colonialized ethinicities on an Island and call the end result 'multiculturalism'. Most of them can't agree on the colour of shite let alone which value system to follow.

Hybrid / bastard / mongrel nation sounds much better to me. I woulldn't mind so much, but feigning to have pride in a country built on rape, slavery, murder theft and torture is as laughable as it is preposterous.

I've said it before; The only difference between this

and this

Is thier legacies in History - written by the victors.

Genkaku 03-29-2008 12:48 PM

I'm sure interracial relationships aren't as impossible as some are in the southern parts of Northern America.

MissMisa 03-29-2008 09:08 PM

Every country has negative pasts, not just the UK. There are a lot of positive things in the UK that people seem to blindly ignore - the free health system perhaps? Anyone can get treated, freely, on the NHS. Free schools? Everyone has the right to an education here, and gets it completely free until a certain age. I think some people need to understand how lucky they are to live in a place such as the UK, and stop complaining about stupid issues that mean nothing. Yes the UK is not perfect, nor is anywhere else, but a large majority of the people in the UK have a comfortable lifestyle which a lot of people are not grateful for.

Rogozhin 03-30-2008 03:41 AM

I think the main concern my dad's family (Japanese) had with my mum (white) was whether or not she'd assimilate (adopt Japanese mannerisms and show enough respect towards the Japanese culture). Since she did assimilate, my dad's family is very accepting of her.

clairebear 03-30-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMisa (Post 440717)
Every country has negative pasts, not just the UK. There are a lot of positive things in the UK that people seem to blindly ignore - the free health system perhaps? Anyone can get treated, freely, on the NHS. Free schools? Everyone has the right to an education here, and gets it completely free until a certain age. I think some people need to understand how lucky they are to live in a place such as the UK, and stop complaining about stupid issues that mean nothing. Yes the UK is not perfect, nor is anywhere else, but a large majority of the people in the UK have a comfortable lifestyle which a lot of people are not grateful for.

I agree. ;)

Sutiiven 03-30-2008 05:22 AM

the way i see it is marry who you want it is you're right or date who you want.