(#93 (permalink))
Old
Wednesday (Offline)
JF Regular

07-17-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
ANIME

009-1 comes out very soon, and I think it appeals to an older crowd as it borrows from so many places that I think we can see, both from older Japanese anime (like Cutey Honey, Dirty Pair,) and from Western sources (007, 60s spy movies)

A Phantom Memory: Kurau was very thoughtful, and I think it has a great appeal to an older (is 30 really that old? I hope not!) crowd.

I thought Bobobo Bo-BO-bobo (or something like that) was hilarious.

MANGA

Your best bet is Dark Horse Manga. MPD-Psycho is very mature, not only in content, but in complexity (in a GOOD way). The Scary Book series I think has more appeal to an older person than a younger one because of the frightening situations children are put into (especially as a parent). I would also highly recommend Museum of Terror (again, if you like horror) for very thoughtful and frightening modern classic scares.

Old Boy is also excellent. Violent and a mental puzzle at the same time.

What else? Mail, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Shaman Warrior, Lone Wold and Cub...

Not Dark Horse, but Death Note is insanely popular for a reason: it is that good.

I love really thought-provoking anime and manga, and am enjoying reading all your thoughts...
That's a nice list.

However, I think it's a bit difficult to talk about mangas for 30+ readers. Maybe if the characters are 30 something. If you ask for adult mangas (without ecchi and hentai), the list of MMM might be ueseful.

I guess that "Eden" is one of mangas I wouldn't recommend to teens. The stroy and topics are quite interesting even though I haven't read it completely. It's quite serious and heavy though.

I also liked "12 days". The pictures are great, Korean art work. It's a romantic tragedy, so, very heavy again. The content is for people with much relationship experience. Well, you can read it as an unexperienced, young person but to understand it fully, I guess it would be more interesting for people older than 30 or 40. It's also kind of a biography and the pacing slightely comparable to "Old Boy".

As a first guess, I would pick "Adolf" and "Afro Samurai". I never read them though.

"Freaks rule!" (._.)v