(#324 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takushimazu View Post
oh.. ok.. I think the best way for me to do that would be to list the questions I want to ask the most. So if you could answer any of these for me then that would help me alot:
I`ll answer all of them.

Quote:
*Have you personally been through the Visa process? if so, was it as complicated as it sounds? (Specifically spousal visa)
Yes, I have been through the visa process... (obviously, as I live in Japan now) And no it wasn`t particularly complicated. I don`t know how complicated it "sounds" to you, but there were no problems when we filed.

Quote:
*Is it easy for young people to find their feet when trying to live independently from their family. (buying a first apartment.. etc..)
I think that depends entirely upon the person, and how responsible they are. And how dependent they were upon their family.

Quote:
*Are mixed race couples generally accepted in Japan? (as much as they are in England for example?)
I doubt that it`s on the same level as in multi-cultural countries, but I have certainly never experienced a problem.

Quote:
*How long did it take you to learn Japanese fluently? And also, studying at roughly 2 hours a day, how long would it take for a dedicated student to become fluent in Japanese? (Studying only from books, with some help from a native speaker.)
I think I`ve gone into quite a lot of depth about the time it took me to become fluent somewhere earlier in this thread. Sift through it and see.
I really can`t help with the studying 2 hours calculations though because there really are too many variables. I would honestly say it would be entirely impossible to become fluent from book study alone, even if you studied 8 hours a day.

Quote:
*Is it difficult for under qualified workers to obtain jobs in Japan? ( I ask this strange question because I am currently an art college student who will be just under degree level when I finish my studies)
I imagine it would be fairly difficult. Even if you are fluent and experienced, there is no advantage to hiring you if there is someone Japanese with the same experience *and* a degree. Really, there is no reason not to finish your degree before you look for a job.

Quote:
*Is it difficult for 外国人 to fit into communities? (As friends/neighbors/co-workers/relatives)
I don`t personally think so. Obviously, it will depend upon your behavior and the community, but if you behave normally according to Japanese standards I don`t imagine there would be a problem.

Quote:
*What problems have you experienced as a direct result of being a 外国人?
Hmm... Not being able to find shoes in my size? Then again, I had trouble finding decent shoes in my size even before coming to Japan.
I can`t really think of any discriminatory things that have happened to me - I honestly haven`t experienced any. Some people out there would love to have you believe that foreigners are treated strangely, and have gawkers and insults on every corner, but I`ve never had any sort of problem.
The most interesting things that happen to me are along the lines of someone delivering a package and being surprised I wasn`t Japanese when I open the door... as I sounded like a native over the intercom.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.