View Single Post
(#325 (permalink))
Old
aychseven (Offline)
New to JF

05-30-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takushimazu View Post
*Is it easy for young people to find their feet when trying to live independently from their family. (buying a first apartment.. etc..)
i think this is difficult in any country, not just japan. it requires a LOT of upfront money and possibly a lot of extra burden if you are not fluent in the language. perhaps your fiancee could help you with this. are you planning on getting a place together when you go to japan? or are you looking for a temporary place when you get there?

if temporary, you could always look into a gaijin house, and then you and your fiancee could look for a place together once you have a place to stay.

if you are looking for a place by yourself, my understanding is that a lot of apartments in japan require a commitment of 2 years and perhaps a letter from a guarantor since you are a gaijin. while looking around, i have come across a few places with bilingual real estate agents who will help you find an apartment friendly to gaijin and help you get utilities set up. you may also be out ~5 months rent due to deposit, key money and service fee to the agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takushimazu View Post
*Is it difficult for under qualified workers to obtain jobs in Japan? ( I ask this strange question because I am currently an art college student who will be just under degree level when I finish my studies)
depending on your visa, you may or may not be able to work. generally work visas allow you to only work in a specific field, though i am not sure how strictly it is enforced. but i think it better to be safe than sorry; last thing you want is to be deported for working illegally.

keep in mind that i am working purely on theory here as i have no experience in these matters. there are tons of informational websites out there worth looking over, and it sounds like you have some reading to do. it would be good to have a general understanding and then come ask *specific* questions.

Living in Japan
MOFA: A Guide to Japanese Visas - Documents to Be Submitted with Visa Applications
Japan Info > Living in Japan > Overview: Japan - Jobs - Japan Jobs - Japan Info - Japan Apartments - Japan Classifieds - Japan Forums