View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
06-14-2007, 01:31 AM

im glad you can quote wikipedia. but reason why the "confusion's" happened in Breaking *if you ever saw the movie* is the characters were breakers who also popped.

You can call the style what ever, popping or jerking but it was never made popular until Electric boogolo and Breaking. Popping would never have gotten as far as it did if it wasnt for Bboying.

we got MJ doing some of it, but who follows MJ now adays.

I havent been to a single event where the main attraction is popping.

Although Solo man Sam did pioneered some styles theres no mention of Don Campbelle, who Pioneered locking and Crazy legs a Bboy from Rocks Steady Crew who incorporated it into Bboying.
No one can take claim of the origin of Popping and Locking.

So i suppose the argument of where popping came from isnt gona be settled between us, since its been going on since the 60s. Basicly its like trying to claim who did the first so and so move and then calling the other person a biter.
Fact of the matter is, that it started from east and west coast pretty much around the same era, just that neither side knew who was doing it first but when it first became popular every one tried to claim it.

The definition of popping and the same style that Hyunn Joon incorporates is a mix of SOO many styles. Such as the many listed on Wikipedia.

So to find the origins of that is basicly Alots of break influence and early works by sam Solomon.

If you want to go back EVEN FURTHER into the 20's! same can argue that Popping and that style developed from the CHarleston.

so i guess were both right in some aspects but im more focused in the fact that bboying put made popping what it is today.

btw heres a interesting lil clip of The charleston being remixed with daft punk.
you'll see that 90% of the moves are still incorporated into popping and locking today
YouTube - charleston style

but still to say Hyun Joon is one extremely gifted person to have soo many styles. If you were to go thru all of his videos he seemlessly goes from one style to another with the greatest of ease and uses his own techniques to boost his great showman ship.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan