View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

06-21-2007, 06:56 PM

No I'm not trying to start stuff with religion. In fact I also said (which people seem to keep missing with reading) is that if you have animosity toward a Christian or Christianity to avoid this post because I don't want to start waves.
The reason I mentioned feel free to debate (so long as it's done so in a respectful and polite fashion) is because religion in general is a controversial issue and any topic regarding a controversial issue has the possibility of a philosophical debate to occur.

Regarding getting a degree, yes I know that's important; however I have other priorities and to me, my religion is a priority in my life as well as having a career.

The reason waves are caused is because people get really defensive and heated regarding this sort of topic (religion of any kind). There is also the fact that some will believe that if a view is different from what they believe then they will think that the person's view is wrong, when in reality it's just diversity. I know this because I've come across people with this type of attitude before.

Somebody said that religion has no place with a Japan forum. Okay essentially this forum is designed to talk about every aspect of the culture of Japan (the food, the people, the language, going on a vacation, their hobbies, and traditions in their daily way of life with their culture).

aychseven's quote...

as far as i can determine, the only thing you're asking for is other christians to respond, and for non christians who want to debate your religion to respond. but respond with what? the fact that you're christian? this is the living in japan forum, not the religious debate forum. do you have some kind of questions about living in japan as a christian? or maybe some other question? please feel free to ask. but don't come to this forum just to stir shit up. i know you say you don't want to cause problems, but thats exactly what you do when you start a religious debate on a forum that has nothing to do with religion.

You're going to tell me that religion isn't a part of Japan even though 85% of the population of Japan practices Buddhism, the remaining 15% of the population practices Shintoism, and then Christianity is a minority religion, yet religion doesn't encompass part of the Japanese culture when three religions are practiced? These are only the religions I've heard of that are a major part of their culture (I'm sure there are other religions practiced too that I haven't mentioned, I just don't know what they are or how many people in Japan practice them).

aychseven's quote...

as far as i can determine, the only thing you're asking for is other christians to respond, and for non christians who want to debate your religion to respond. but respond with what? the fact that you're christian? this is the living in japan forum, not the religious debate forum. do you have some kind of questions about living in japan as a christian? or maybe some other question? please feel free to ask. but don't come to this forum just to stir shit up. i know you say you don't want to cause problems, but thats exactly what you do when you start a religious debate on a forum that has nothing to do with religion.

The only reason stuff is starting is because you're accusing me of deliberately starting waves, which I'm not out to do. With the initial post I made two things quite clear. If you chose not to read what those were, that's not my fault.

Oh and one more thing I never said that I have a problem with non-Christians responding to this. What I said was....

If you don't like or care for the Christian religion (or just respond with animosity toward this subject) please avoid this thread. Like I said, I'm not trying to cause trouble. If you don't like the religion of Christianity please avoid this thread. If you're not a Christian but interested in having philosophical debate (in a respectable and friendly manner) please feel free to respond.

That implies that if you're going to cause waves because you have animosity toward Christianity or Christians DO NOT respond to this thread. Why? Because you would cause waves if you fit the above description and I'm trying to AVOID causing trouble, NOT trying
to start it. I don't have a problem with non-Christians responding to this thread, you made the assumption that I had a problem with non-Christians responding to this thread. I set ground rules with the post because I wanted to avoid trouble. If you do have animosity toward the fact I'm a Christian then either a.agree to disagree regarding the Christian religion or b. don't cause trouble by responding to a subject you know you have animosity with.

Last edited by kawaiineko : 06-21-2007 at 07:19 PM.