JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

looking for American Christians (or Japanese Christians) who live in Japan.... - 06-21-2007, 04:48 AM

I'm not trying to cause waves with this thread. I realize the primary religions in Japan are Buddhism (85%) and Shintoism (15%) which leaves Christianity as a minority religion. I have nothing against their religions.

If they choose to practice those religions, so be it. However, it's not my cup of tea, and I choose to follow Christianity. I'm looking for genuine Christians and if you fall under this category (whether you're a gajin or Japanese) please respond to this thread.

If you don't like or care for the Christian religion (or just respond with animosity toward this subject) please avoid this thread. Like I said, I'm not trying to cause trouble. If you don't like the religion of Christianity please avoid this thread. If you're not a Christian but interested in having philosophical debate (in a respectable and friendly manner) please feel free to respond.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2007, 05:13 AM

Why do you want to come and live in Japan with your "boyfriend" if you have strong feelings about being around Christians? I don't think Japan is for you. Also, chances are you won't be able to live in Japan because you don't have a bachelor's degree and online courses won't get you the pass to work in Japan. The best you can do is visit Japan and in that case why even worry about people's religions around you if you're just coming for a short stay.

Last edited by GhostBlade : 06-21-2007 at 05:15 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-21-2007, 05:22 AM

Do not worry to much. Japanese ppl won't persecute you because you are a christian. I am a christian myself and I go to a christian church both catholic and non-catholic.

What is it that you want to know actually??

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

06-21-2007, 07:02 AM

Ghost Blade's quote:

Why do you want to come and live in Japan with your "boyfriend" if you have strong feelings about being around Christians? I don't think Japan is for you. Also, chances are you won't be able to live in Japan because you don't have a bachelor's degree and online courses won't get you the pass to work in Japan. The best you can do is visit Japan and in that case why even worry about people's religions around you if you're just coming for a short stay.

]Um excuse me you don't have the right to make the assumption that Japan isn't for me. I said quite clearly that I don't mind befriending or having a philosophical debate with people who aren't Christian so long as they do so in a friendly and respecful manner. I also said quite clearly that if you feel animosity toward Christianity (or Christians) NOT to go to this thread because I didn't want to make waves.

You're judging me right off the bat, thinking that because I'm Christian and most Japanese aren't (because as far as I've heard it's a minority religion) that I'm not going to want to befriend them. No I have no problem being friends with somebody who isn't a Christian. You assumed I did. I don't mind befriending people regardless of their religion. All I ask is they treat me with respect and respect what I believe.

I do the same with other people who aren't Christians. I respect their religion and try to be open minded about what they believe and try to understand why they believe what they believe; however I'm not going to forsake my personal beliefs regarding Christianity. I respect what they believe and try to understand it, however I choose not to follow Buddhism or Shintoism because they're not my cup of tea. That doesn't mean I see their religions as inferior, it's just a matter of personal preference (as in I choose to follow Christianity because it's what gives my life purpose); just as Japanese choose to follow Buddhism because it gives their life purpose.

Fyi Ghost Blade believe it or not I do try to treat people the way I would like to be treated. To not befriend somebody just because their religion isn't mine (and I choose not to follow their religion because it's not my cup of tea) would very petty of me. Fyi I'm not like that.

Regardless of all that I would like to be able to fellowship (basically befriend somebody who is a Christian) just for a sense of familiarity regarding my religion. Yes I have no problem being friends with somebody who follows a different religion, however at the same time I would like some friends who are Christian that actually live in the same country as I do. If not, it will get really lonely. Also it will be nice to have common ground with somebody who believes what I do. This is in no way implies I view Japanese as inferior because of what they believe. I mean they believe something different that doesn't make it wrong; they just choose to live by a different set of morals which I choose not to live by.

Last edited by kawaiineko : 06-21-2007 at 07:08 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-21-2007, 07:29 AM

Religion is not really a big thing in Japan these days. What difference does it make whether your friends are Christian or Buddhist anyway? Both religions have a high 'standard' of morality. Either way, there are Christian churches dotted all over Japan, although not many outside the bigger cities. In fact, the university that I studied abroad at was a Christian university. They held ceremonies for Christmas and Easter and all that.

You should have bigger concerns about Japan (such as earning your degree to get IN to Japan) rather than worrying about whether you'll be able to congregate with other Christians in Japan.

If you have something to debate regarding religion, have at it - I'm open to any conversation.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
aychseven (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2007, 04:04 PM

as far as i can determine, the only thing you're asking for is other christians to respond, and for non christians who want to debate your religion to respond. but respond with what? the fact that you're christian? this is the living in japan forum, not the religious debate forum. do you have some kind of questions about living in japan as a christian? or maybe some other question? please feel free to ask. but don't come to this forum just to stir shit up. i know you say you don't want to cause problems, but thats exactly what you do when you start a religious debate on a forum that has nothing to do with religion.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Carboxylic (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2007, 05:44 PM

I think she wants to make sure that she can go to Japan and be able to participate in a Christian church. I remember that Nagasaki was once famous for it's Christian community. Akita also is well known.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

06-21-2007, 06:56 PM

No I'm not trying to start stuff with religion. In fact I also said (which people seem to keep missing with reading) is that if you have animosity toward a Christian or Christianity to avoid this post because I don't want to start waves.
The reason I mentioned feel free to debate (so long as it's done so in a respectful and polite fashion) is because religion in general is a controversial issue and any topic regarding a controversial issue has the possibility of a philosophical debate to occur.

Regarding getting a degree, yes I know that's important; however I have other priorities and to me, my religion is a priority in my life as well as having a career.

The reason waves are caused is because people get really defensive and heated regarding this sort of topic (religion of any kind). There is also the fact that some will believe that if a view is different from what they believe then they will think that the person's view is wrong, when in reality it's just diversity. I know this because I've come across people with this type of attitude before.

Somebody said that religion has no place with a Japan forum. Okay essentially this forum is designed to talk about every aspect of the culture of Japan (the food, the people, the language, going on a vacation, their hobbies, and traditions in their daily way of life with their culture).

aychseven's quote...

as far as i can determine, the only thing you're asking for is other christians to respond, and for non christians who want to debate your religion to respond. but respond with what? the fact that you're christian? this is the living in japan forum, not the religious debate forum. do you have some kind of questions about living in japan as a christian? or maybe some other question? please feel free to ask. but don't come to this forum just to stir shit up. i know you say you don't want to cause problems, but thats exactly what you do when you start a religious debate on a forum that has nothing to do with religion.

You're going to tell me that religion isn't a part of Japan even though 85% of the population of Japan practices Buddhism, the remaining 15% of the population practices Shintoism, and then Christianity is a minority religion, yet religion doesn't encompass part of the Japanese culture when three religions are practiced? These are only the religions I've heard of that are a major part of their culture (I'm sure there are other religions practiced too that I haven't mentioned, I just don't know what they are or how many people in Japan practice them).

aychseven's quote...

The only reason stuff is starting is because you're accusing me of deliberately starting waves, which I'm not out to do. With the initial post I made two things quite clear. If you chose not to read what those were, that's not my fault.

Oh and one more thing I never said that I have a problem with non-Christians responding to this. What I said was....

If you don't like or care for the Christian religion (or just respond with animosity toward this subject) please avoid this thread. Like I said, I'm not trying to cause trouble. If you don't like the religion of Christianity please avoid this thread. If you're not a Christian but interested in having philosophical debate (in a respectable and friendly manner) please feel free to respond.

That implies that if you're going to cause waves because you have animosity toward Christianity or Christians DO NOT respond to this thread. Why? Because you would cause waves if you fit the above description and I'm trying to AVOID causing trouble, NOT trying
to start it. I don't have a problem with non-Christians responding to this thread, you made the assumption that I had a problem with non-Christians responding to this thread. I set ground rules with the post because I wanted to avoid trouble. If you do have animosity toward the fact I'm a Christian then either a.agree to disagree regarding the Christian religion or b. don't cause trouble by responding to a subject you know you have animosity with.

Last edited by kawaiineko : 06-21-2007 at 07:19 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
aychseven (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2007, 07:25 PM

oh hey, thanks for not really reading my post at all and putting words into my mouth. obviously, i need to clarify. here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiineko View Post
Somebody said that religion has no place with a Japan forum.
no i did not. i said religious debate has no place in the living in japan forum. this is where you would pose questions such as: Where can i find a christian church in japan? or How do the japanese feel about christians? etc. If you are looking for christians who will share their experiences of living in japan with you, then ask and you may find a few. all of these things are perfectly valid topics for this forum.
now if you are looking for friends / fellow christians (as you stated in your original post), i would like to point you to the friends ads section of this forum.

Quote:
You're going to tell me that religion isn't a part of Japan even though ....
i never said, implied, inferred etc anything like that. you pulled that idea out of thin air. you go and talk about others getting defensive, yet here you are...

what i was trying to get at is the fact that your original post seems to have no point. is there some information you would like to know? is there some burning question? then ASK! please! let me rephrase your original post and maybe you can see what i am trying to point out to you:

original poster:
hi! i am XXXXX. if you are also XXXXX please post. if you would like to debate XXXXX, please also post. if you do no like XXXXX please go away. i am not trying to cause trouble.

maybe you can see what i am talking about now. your post has no relevant point; you are not asking anything, merely making an arbitrary statement. i am simply trying to keep this forum on topic.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
aychseven (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
The only reason stuff is starting is because you're accusing me of deliberately starting waves, which I'm not out to do.
no, i'm accusing you of having no point to your original post.

Quote:
With the initial post I made two things quite clear.
yes, you made a few things quite clear. the point of your post was not one of them. i would love it if you could clarify.

seriously, i'm trying to get you to clarify what you are asking / looking for so maybe i/we can help with some info, or maybe point you in the right direction.

Last edited by aychseven : 06-21-2007 at 07:33 PM.