View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

06-25-2007, 04:21 AM

The first thing you need to do is specifically determine WHY you want to live in Japan. Then you need to look into your perception as to what Japan is like and investigate wither or not you need to alter it. Then you'll start to get a more accurate impression as to whether or not you can take the cultural differences you'll experience. Trust me, there are A LOT of differences. However I can tell you that if you simply maintain an open and curious mind, you'll find that a stay in Japan is quite enjoyable.

As for living areas. I might suggest checking out the areas around Zama City and Atsugi. There are US military bases there and you'll find a lot of Americans. The rental rates are more reasonable as well. When I was visiting my Inlaws back in March, I saw ads that had one room efficencies for the equivalent of 600 to 700 US Dollars. The Odakyu-Odawara train line running through Zama and Atsugi ends in Shinjuku (near Harajuku) Its about only 40 miles and takes a little less than an hour to get there.

Good luck