View Single Post
(#18 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-12-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
No, no, no! I love literature! When I'm not studying I read most of the time, my friends always freak out when they see the huge amount of books I have in my room.

I read that book you mentioned last year, along with El Quijote, Tirant lo Blanc (Tirante el Blanco) and some others.

My favorite English authors is Charles Dickens. ^^ I know it may sound typical but I just love all of his books.

Oh, you also love literature! Cool!!
I, too, have a huge pile of books on my two desks -- when I was in Japan, my parents were fearful that the floor should be broken someday

The tale of the man of La Mancha is well-known in Japan, but we call him "Don Quixote"; when you visit Japan, you may find his shops as well -- one of the most famous discount store uses this name!

It's strange that while you call the novel "El Quijote", we use the title of "Don" to him. "Don" is respectful expression for the nobles, isn't it? I'm just wondering why then El Cid is just "El" Cid -- will you tell me the difference?

I don't know Spanish literature so much but Garcia Lorca's Bodas de Sangre is really nice! I like the beginning of the 3rd Act, woodcutters' talk about the blood and men's destiny.

As for Dickens, I just read The Great Expectation in Japanese translation and know the plot of Christmas Carol; if you have some recommendation about Dickens's novels, please tell me

Though I've been Barcelona just one day, I travelled to Spain three times. I like Prado, Tissen, Reina Sofia Museum, tortija, cafe con leche, sangria, jamon, sumo de naranha (well... I don't know the spelling ... the two most frequent phrases I said in Spain are "Abras Ingres?" and "Non entienda Espanol"!)
To me, the two most curious Spanish words are beef (baka) and garlic (aho) -- I guess you see?

"yf I ded ony foly I have that I sought."

-- Thomas Malory, Le Morte D'Arthur

Last edited by laurel : 07-12-2007 at 01:38 AM.