(#10 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

08-03-2007, 02:04 AM

Hi mishasu-chan!

generally, we Japanese use title in the following way:

chan -- for something pretty; generally for girls and little boys

kun -- for boys; also, "kun" is used among friends or colleagues; usually, a person in superior position use "kun" to call a male in inferior position (e. g. from a teacher to his pupil)

sama -- for someone superior; both for male and female; we use "sama" even for gods ("kami" means gods, but we usually say "kami-sama")

sensei -- for teacher

I never hear "kazza" and "doza"; maybe "kaasan" (mom) and "tousan" (dad), as already pointed out?

"san" derives from "sama"; "san" is more casual, still polite expression.

Also, some Otaku people use "tan" (maybe mixture of "san" and "chan"?); they call their favourite characters with "tan".

I don't read "Pita-ten"; but I know some anime characters use curious inflexions.
Do you know a girl with cat's ears, Deziko, in "Degi-Charot"? I think the author of "Pita-ten" creates Deziko as well...
Anyway. Deziko uses "-nyo" termination, which sounds like cat't mewing.

According to dictionary, "-ssu" inflection is originally used to make sure of something for the listener.
Nowadays, it sounds a little bit boyish or masculine. But girls also use "-ssu" to show frankness.
I myself frequently use "-ssu" expression (e. g. my reply at http://www.japanforum.com/forum/lang...ml#post190891). I thought it was not rude, but my tutor told me that I should not use "-ssu" at classroom!

"yf I ded ony foly I have that I sought."

-- Thomas Malory, Le Morte D'Arthur