(#41 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-28-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fara7 View Post
Hi!
Yah i have received ur e-mail with the Japanese milk advertisement, i liked it, but im reallly sorry for not answering .
Oh there are 6 hours difference between us (kuwait) and Japan, so when u r asleep we're awake and when we're awake ur asleep lol.

Hi, Fara-chan!

Oh, that's fine (゚∇^*) I'm just afraid that there might be some trouble with my mailer system; in these days my internet connection does not work properly.

So, the time difference between Kuwait and Japan is 6 hours? As for the UK, there is 8-hour time difference. It was pretty hard to make a call at appropriate time.

By the way, yesterday I went to Akihabara and found so many Haruhi stuff there!

"yf I ded ony foly I have that I sought."

-- Thomas Malory, Le Morte D'Arthur
(#42 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-28-2007, 09:13 AM

Hi, Suki-chan!

Quote:
Woah that would be great! But I think it'll take me two more years to save enough money or I might ask my parents to pay for the trip as a birthday present... ^.^
I'm not sure if I still live in Japan two years later (in fact I'm planning to work in London to earn my tuition fee); but I'm willing to be your guide d(*⌒▽⌒*)b

By the way, the expo will be held at Barcelona, too!? Wow, I feel glad and proud to know that so many foreign people love Japanese culture (≧∇≦)

Quote:
I know this two Japanese girls who are studying Spanish at university and they say they find it much easier than English due to pronunciation similarities. Guess it just depens on each person.
I see. One of my tutors (he is a native British guy) told us that English is rather complicated language; people all over the world use English not because it is easy, but because it is the heritage of British Empire.
Maybe only one advantage for Japanese people to learn English is, there are so many loan words.

Quote:
I must admit they're rather similar though, but that's just cause they both come from Latin.
Thank you for your explanation; this sentence is quite clear and makes good sense

So, can I ask one question from a Latin song "O Fortuna"? I can't get the following lines;

ludo mentis aciem,
egestatem, potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem.

I checked dictionary and guessed the meaning of each word; but I can't understand the syntax of "ludo mentis aciem". These words seem to indicate "play, whim", "mind" and "look", but I'm not sure what this line exactly means. If you have some suggestion, will you tell me, please?

I once translated this poem into Japanese, but just based on English translation. The whole Latin lines are at the following page:

http://laurel.otogirisou.com/miscellany/ofortuna.html

Quote:
The reason why we don't usually eat it any other time of the year is because it's a hot dish.
Oh, I see. We Japanese do not have hot dish during Summer; but -- do you hear something about "我慢大会" (gaman taikai: patience competition)?
It is a game to prove one's own endurance. People wear warm, thick clothes and eat hot food even though the temperature is more than 30c degree!!
I wonder if the participants are a bunch of masochists or not ...

I'm totally surprised at your explanation of political situation during Franco's dictatorship. That was ... so terrible, I feel sorry for Catalan people. Also, I feel respect for them, because they keep their own culture, their own Catalan language.
Thank you for your explanation, Suki-chan (^▽^) I greatly owe to you!

(#43 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-28-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaicui View Post
lol i think the whole forum speaks english
Yes, you're right... ホンマっすね。
じゃあ、せっかくなので敢えて日本語でレスしてみます ☆

さすがえーごは実質上のリンガ・フランカ。このフォー ラムを見たらエドワード・サイード氏も草葉の影から「 オリエンタリズムだ!」とか怒りそうでドキドキです

(#44 (permalink))
Old
fara7 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to fara7
07-28-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel View Post
Hi, Fara-chan!
By the way, yesterday I went to Akihabara and found so many Haruhi stuff there!
Hello
Akihabara, The Otakus favourite place, Have u gone there to buy some Anime figures and DVDs or u had some other work to do or u had a cup of coffee in a maid cafe (just joking).

Are all the ppl there dressed in the otaku style?
Densha Otoko. (Have u seen this drama?)

Have u seen ppl there, running after an Otaku with a camera shouting "IT'S AN OTAKU, GET HIM" lol.

Yah Haruhi is so famous .
(#45 (permalink))
Old
indojapan1976 (Offline)
New to JF

Hi - 07-28-2007, 11:08 AM

You can certainly ask about Rajnikanth.Hope to see you...
(#46 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-31-2007, 11:35 AM

Oh, Fara-chan!! You know quite alot about Japan, don't you?

Quote:
Akihabara, The Otakus favourite place, Have u gone there to buy some Anime figures and DVDs or u had some other work to do or u had a cup of coffee in a maid cafe (just joking).
I went Akihabara to buy some special thingy for my British friend. However, I can't deny that there are lots of temptation in Akihabara -- I used to go there once in a month when I was teen.

As for Otaku style (we call guys wearing thick eye-glasses, bearing backpacks with anime poster, and put their shirts inside of their trousers "アキバ系" , pronounce as "Akiba kei"; the meaning is just "Akihabara-fashioned boys"), you can see so many Otakus there. At the same time, Akihabara has so many duty free shops; it is very popular among foreign tourists.

I've never seen paparazzi in Akihabara, maybe some men are eager to take photos of maid-san!

I read Densha Otoko on the web, via a summary made from "2ちゃんねる" ("2ch"). It was a lovely story, I like Hermes-tan

P.S. I heard that nowadays Ikebukuro is well-known as the town of Otaku girls. I guess there are many shops with Yaoi (slash) thingy and cosplay material. They call one street in Ikebukuro "乙女ロード" ("Otome Road", "maiden's road"). Maybe I should visit there next month ... *chuckle*

(#47 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indojapan1976 View Post
You can certainly ask about Rajnikanth.Hope to see you...
Thanks
I got your reply and found that my sis once lived at your working place. I've been there several times, what a coincidence!

Last night I watched Rajnikanth's "Muthu" with my little niece; and -- guess what? She started dancing with him, trying to sing with him!

(#48 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-31-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfallnightmares View Post
i'd be very glad to teach you english!!!

Dear nightfallnightmares,

I hope you look this thread.
Well, I tried to contact you but could not send any message via PM.
If you see this message, will you e-mail me, please?
My address is

quiaamorelangueo@gmail.com

Thanks!

(#49 (permalink))
Old
fara7 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to fara7
07-31-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
P.S. I heard that nowadays Ikebukuro is well-known as the town of Otaku girls. I guess there are many shops with Yaoi (slash) thingy and cosplay material. They call one street in Ikebukuro "乙女ロード" ("Otome Road", "maiden's road"). Maybe I should visit there next month ... *chuckle*
Are Akihabara and Ikebukuro very far away from your town? Like u cannot go there everyday?

Quote:
Oh, Fara-chan!! You know quite alot about Japan, don't you?
Ther's a lot more to learn avout japan

you must go back to UK to continue your studies right? so how much are you willing to stay in Japan?
(#50 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

08-01-2007, 06:02 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fara7 View Post
Are Akihabara and Ikebukuro very far away from your town? Like u cannot go there everyday?

It takes around 1 hour to get to Akihabara from my hometown; but it is not so bad. Most of my friends work at Tokyo from our town.

When I worked at Kinshi-chou, I went to Akihabara every day -- because I had to change train there
To my personal opinion, Akihabara is not a town to visit every day. Just once in a week is enough to me. I would rather visit Aoyama and Omote Sandou every day

Quote:
you must go back to UK to continue your studies right? so how much are you willing to stay in Japan?
I'm planning to go back to the UK after I save money; maybe it takes a few months.
During that period, I'll learn Japanese culture more -- I'm going to restart traditional Japanese calligraphy exercise and learn how to wear kimono!