(#61 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

08-07-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fara7 View Post
Hi Maki,

Yesterday i heard that the The storm Usaji has hit Southern Japan and it was like The second storm in one month. Is entire Japan an earthquake and Storm Prone Country or there are some places which haven't seen such disasters.
I hope your area is not in danger.

Ok Take care.

Hi fara chan!
Thank you for your post

In summer, we have lots of hurricanes (in Japanese 台風: taihuu); generally, however, they pass just south part of Japan.
As for earthquake... it is frequent, but usually it is very weak: we sometimes do not notice there is one.

Luckily, my hometown is not in the route of hurricane. On the other hand, we have rather frequent earthquake. Still, I never feel my house is in danger. I have a friend who lives in Kagoshima, where hurricanes frequently pass; she never says she'd like to move to somewhere. Though it sounds dangerous, we get accustomed to these natural disasters

"yf I ded ony foly I have that I sought."

-- Thomas Malory, Le Morte D'Arthur
(#62 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

08-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narutocrazy101 View Post
I Love literature. I can speeak 6 different languages plus English
Wow, that's great! Who / what are your favourite authors / books, then?

(#63 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

08-07-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki25 View Post
I can do that!

Thank you for your offer
I'll write to you, please wait for a few days

Last edited by laurel : 08-07-2007 at 11:36 PM.
(#64 (permalink))
Old
fara7 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to fara7
08-08-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel View Post
Hi fara chan!
Thank you for your post

In summer, we have lots of hurricanes (in Japanese 台風: taihuu); generally, however, they pass just south part of Japan.
As for earthquake... it is frequent, but usually it is very weak: we sometimes do not notice there is one.

Luckily, my hometown is not in the route of hurricane. On the other hand, we have rather frequent earthquake. Still, I never feel my house is in danger. I have a friend who lives in Kagoshima, where hurricanes frequently pass; she never says she'd like to move to somewhere. Though it sounds dangerous, we get accustomed to these natural disasters

Hi
It's my dream to go to japan (all of us on the forum do, if someone haven't gone there yet) Whenever we hear in the news that an earthquake/Taihuu (like you said), Had hit japan, my parents would ask me why would i like visiting a country that is in danger of any disasters that can hit in any minute. Thank god, here in the middle east(where i live) it is very very rare to hear of any disasters (but we have the worst of all disasters, its the war).

Ok take care
(#65 (permalink))
Old
KohanaIto (Offline)
got milk?

Send a message via MSN to KohanaIto
08-08-2007, 07:14 PM

OMFG!!!!!! you like midevil literature???????? my newest hero ^_^ i have been in love with the Aurthurian legends since i was small. what did you think of the red night? or Sir Gallahad? I personally didn't like the way the made Sir Lancelot out to look like a savior. they were just men... any who im rambling *_* great choice on studis ;]
xox
Andie

show me the world through emerald eyes of colbalt skies
(#66 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
08-09-2007, 01:09 PM

Hello there !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel
So, you watch dubbed anime, not with subtitle? To me, it sounds very curious: I can't imagine some anime characters who speak in typical Japanese way use foreign language!
I usually watch subbed, it's way better! As I always say, when you change the voice that's been given to a certain characters, it loses part of his personality and that's never taken into account...

So when I download anime it's always in Japanese (with subtitiles in English or Spanish), but Dragon Ball -for example- has always been broadcasted on the TV so it's dubbed.

Quote:
Honestly, I wish that Esperanto movement will gain popularity. I like English, but sometimes I feel it's unfair for non-native speakers to hand in all academic articles in English!
Esperanto movement...? I don't think I know what you mean...

Yes you're right, here in Spain when you apply for a job you're always asked for English certificates, as if being able to speak English was the most important thing in the world xD Not that it bothers me though, I'd be in trouble if it was French instead!

Quote:
I hate English preposition, it's really confusing to write some sentences; without preposition, however, it's hard to understand the meaning of Latin sentence...
Haha yeah that's right. I wonder how they managed to understand each other with so few apparently unconnected words.

Spanish speakers don't seem to have much trouble with prepositions. You soon get familiar with them and the verbs they go with.

Quote:
In fact, they PAY money to join such kind of competitions.

2006 Winter Gaman-taikai in Oita

The winner gains some prize, but generally, it is not so expensive.
WoW!

So they're out in the freezing cold eating ice-creams and such..? xD

Quote:
Yes; kimono requires special tips to wear, especially the way to tie the belt (obi) is quite difficult.
Many girls wear kimono at certification ceremony of uni, but most of them cannot wear kimono by themselves. There is a job called きもの着付け師 (kimono kitsukeshi), who helps people to wear kimono.
Cool! The whole geishas world fascinates me... have you heard about Liza Dalby? She was the first non-Japanese woman to become a geisha, and she wrote a book about what life was like in the okiya and all she learnt while being tought how to behave and this kind of things.

Does every Japanese girl own a kimono? I mean, is it like... a must to have at least one? Do they wear it everywhere in a normal day?

Thanks so very much for the links, I couldn't understand a word of it but I jus cliked at random and found some interesting stuff.

How long does it actually take to get into a kimono...?

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#67 (permalink))
Old
Baeldeth (Offline)
New to JF

08-18-2007, 06:26 AM

I'd be perfectly happy to talk. I'm from Canada so I speak Canadian english. I too have g-mail. Let me know!
(#68 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

08-22-2007, 02:35 AM

I'm terribly sorry for not answering you soon; in these two weeks, I was busy with my dissertation... but finally, I'm free!! (except 12-hour part-time job)
Anyway. I'll write to you all ASAP; please wait for a while. Thank you for your patience

(#69 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

09-17-2007, 01:59 AM

I'm sorry for such an awful delay of answer. While I was busy with my dissertation, I got so many e-mails ... and after I finished mine task, I didn't know how to answer them all.

To those who e-mailed me directly or using "send e-mail" function at Japan Forum, I've already answered. As for PM, I'll answer gradually -- sorry!

I'll write my e-mail address here to avoid confusion: please contact me via
quiaamorelangueo@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

(#70 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

09-17-2007, 02:00 AM

Hello, Fara chan!

Thank you for adding me as your friend at Facebook

We have frequent, but very small earthquakes in Japan. I think you can get accustomed to them quickly (my Turkish brother-in-law did).
Luckily, there is no war around Japan; this summer, however, 120 people died because of excessive heat. I wore a long-sleeve coat in the UK, but Japanese summer is like a steam bath! I recommend you not to visit Japan between June to September...