JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

09-17-2007, 02:00 AM

Hi, KohanaIto san!

Yup, I'm a medievalist and Arthurian since I was 15!!
My Arthurian book collection is huge -- 8 years ago, it was already more than 100. I gave up counting all books, but it seems that I currently have more than 300... in English, French, German, and of course Japanese.

The Red Knight you said is Sir Ironside in Malory? Or, Sir Noonday Sun in Tennyson? Maybe you mean the communist knight in Donald Barthelme's novel

One of my favourite Arthurian works is T. H. White's The Once and Future King; I especially adore the characterization of Lancelot and Galahad.
The best knight of the world, Lancelot, has ugly face, and he is always suffering from self-despite.
Galahad is pure and perfect, that's why he is hated by the most of the knights of the Round Table.

"yf I ded ony foly I have that I sought."

-- Thomas Malory, Le Morte D'Arthur
(#72 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

09-17-2007, 02:01 AM

Hiya, Suki chan!

As for dubbed anime, I heard a terrible story from CPU san; when Rurouni Kenshin (the English title is Samurai X, I think) was dubbed, some samurai character spoke in strong South American dialects!!
The way of speech has strong connection with each one's personality, but dubbed anime spoils it, I'm afraid.

When a British comedy show, "Little Britain" was on Japanese TV, the translator did not pay attention to characters' dialects. Every line was translated into standard Japanese, which made the show not so funny. How's Spanish subtitle of Dragon Ball? The hero, Goku, speaks like a bumpkin in original Japanese anime. Are his words translated into an ordinary Spanish?

Esperanto is the movement to invent an international language by mixing various languages.

Esperanto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like the idea, but they should have taken account of Asian languages.

After I went back to Japan, and after I stopped using English in daily conversation, I gradually forget how to use prepositions! You know, we don't have any preposition, though Japanese language has very complicated particles. I hope my English ability will be recovered by my new job...

I didn't know about Liza Dalby, but her story sounds very interesting. I watched a TV programme on Maiko, a traditional Japanese dancer girls. It seemed very hard -- even to native Japanese -- to learn such traditional thingy. Still, I know that some foreign people learn quite a lot about Japanese culture. In my Uni, a student from Czech is doing MA for Japanese literature; he memorizes several "rakugo" (traditional funny stories) and performs them on stages. It is simply amazing.

Some of my friends own their own kimono, some don't. Usually, we wear kimono at the ceremony of Coming of Age Day, when we are 20 years old. Also, on New Year Day, when attending at wedding party (we have a special white kimono for the bride as well), on graduation ceremony, etc. In Kyoto, I saw old ladies wore kimono as their daily clothes.

It takes 15 minutes for me to wear kimono properly, but my sis does within 5 minutes. She attended Japanese dance class once, so that she is get accustomed to wear kimono.

(#73 (permalink))
Old
laurel (Offline)
JF Regular

09-17-2007, 02:02 AM

Hello, Baerldeth san!

Canadian English sounds nice, I have some Canadian friends and my sis stayed there for a while. If you still watch this thread (sorry for the delay again), please send me an e-mail

(#74 (permalink))
Old
MarkDuff (Offline)
*yawns*

09-17-2007, 11:31 PM

I speck enlish very well and I ill teach it to you
if you teach me Japanese

My JF family and D.N.A. And Perv Club. Oh and please sign my Guest book. And please no bad comments
FINAL FANTASY CLAN: CODE NAME: AURON
(#75 (permalink))
Old
Cruelangel7 (Offline)
New to JF

11-08-2007, 12:25 AM

Hello how r u? I would be... ecstatic if I Could learn Japanese. and eternally greatful. lol. I can help u with german and french if your interested. as well as english. Thanks.

By the way, My name is alex. Im 17 year old male. otaku. interested in any and all languages but I plan to live in Japan after college.
(#76 (permalink))
Old
fara7 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to fara7
11-17-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel View Post
Hello, Fara chan!

Thank you for adding me as your friend at Facebook

We have frequent, but very small earthquakes in Japan. I think you can get accustomed to them quickly (my Turkish brother-in-law did).
Luckily, there is no war around Japan; this summer, however, 120 people died because of excessive heat. I wore a long-sleeve coat in the UK, but Japanese summer is like a steam bath! I recommend you not to visit Japan between June to September...
Hi Maki
sorry for the late reply, but i havent checked japan forum in long time. Oh my god, you wrote this in september and look at us, now we're in november lol .

You're saying that i shouldn't visit japan between June to September, but i dont think its a problem for me because here in Kuwait it is so so hot, sometimes the temperature reaches 50 degrees and i am used to it. But we've never had death cases because of the heat.

By the way, Happy birthday!! I know its 2 days ago but i have alredy sent you a wall post on Facebook.

Take care
(#77 (permalink))
Old
CED (Offline)
New to JF

Hi - 11-18-2007, 01:52 AM

Hi Laurel Im from Puerto Rico so spanish and english here.Im very interested in learning Japanese so any time you want to practice spanish I'm here

You ask
Quote:
How's Spanish subtitle of Dragon Ball? The hero, Goku, speaks like a bumpkin in original Japanese anime. Are his words translated into an ordinary Spanish?

Let me tell you is terrible.

I see that you know your spanish so

Hola Laurel soy de Puerto Rico y me interesa mucho aprender japones. La cultura japonesa me facina .Si te gusta leer te recomiendo El Reino del Dragon de Oro , El Alquimista y Ciudad de las Bestias.En cuanto a peliculas Amorres Perro.Espero escuchar de ti cuidate mucho

Last edited by CED : 11-18-2007 at 11:23 AM.
(#78 (permalink))
Old
silver0cresent (Offline)
New to JF

11-18-2007, 01:57 AM

^-^ hajimashite gozaimasu! i know some Japanese, but right now i sound like a polite idiot (hahaha) i can teach u some basics, but i suck @ grammer XD
(#79 (permalink))
Old
ChrisCaboose (Offline)
New to JF

11-25-2007, 11:36 PM

I speak English. I live in Scotland. So basically I live next door to the people who actully invented English. So feel free to PM me if you need help. I would like to learn Japanese.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
Naruto911 (Offline)
JF Regular

11-26-2007, 12:45 AM

I can teach you if you want me too.