View Single Post
(#22 (permalink))
Old
SaginumaEki (Offline)
JF Regular

08-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Thanks for replying. Your reply is very appreciated.
But, I'm trying to aim to go next summer.

I don't want to be a politician to be a politician in Japan. I want to be a politician on an international level (as mentioned before ), though being one in Japan might be one of the first steps towards such an action.

I'm planning to make a living there, and to not return to the US except for holidays and the like.
In most countries you have to be part of the political scene within the country before being promoted by your political party to the international level. By an international level politician do you mean high executive branch and/or ambassador? When I went to the Japanese parliament this summer, they said there was only one gaijin in the whole assembly. Some guy from Finland. I forget what district he represented. I know it's not impossible, but it just seems that a gaijin would be elected. As for an ambassador, they almost always live in the country in which the government appoints them to. So if you're a Japanese ambassador, you'd probably not live in Japan and live in whatever country you reside in. Unless I'm missing the point of what an international politician is...

I just understand why you wouldn't want to go and see it first before deciding to move. You could always just try and do a year abroad your senior year, and apply to college while studying a Japanese highschool. I just think that's a more rational approach rather than deciding to live somewhere you haven't been. At least then you'd be there for a year before deciding to stay the rest of your life.

May I ask exactly why you want to move to Japan?