View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-28-2007, 02:52 AM

If you are 17 and are worried about making a lot of money, then I am not sure that a Japanese school is for you. It sounds like the reputation of the school is important, so I would recommend applying to an Ivy League school.

The reality is that it doesn't matter where you go to school as long as they have what you are looking for. If you want an immersion experience in Japan, then by all means apply to a Japanese college that accepts international students. It sounds like an awesome, once in a lifetime experience.

If however, you want to be in jobs surrounded by people that worry more about where you got your degree than that what you can do for the business, then a "famous" school might be better.

A degree is a piece of paper that gets you in doors, and nowadays it is meaning less and less.

Instead of worrying about what oppurtunities you might miss, think about what an awesome oppurtunity this is. AND your parents are encouraging you? My God, I would take it in a second. Even if you never set foot in a classroom, you will come back with an education, experience and skills that put you high above most kids in America chugging beer bongs at frat parties.

Anyone can get a business degree at an American college. But how many Americans get degrees at Japanese colleges? That REALLY sticks out for employers (as it sounds like that is what you are worried about, though, at 17, that's the last thing you should be worried about.)