JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
FalseAlarm (Offline)
New to JF

Need advice badly about schooling in Japan - 09-28-2007, 01:03 AM

I am 17 (caucasian), a Senior in highschool in the United States, and still unsure of my future.

My highschool's academy offers Japanese, and this is my fourth year taking it. It isn't very rigorous at all (even though the teacher is from Japan), and I still don't know that much Japanese.

Anyways, this summer we traveled to Japan as a class for 3 weeks, including an 11 day homestay with a family. I'm not really interested in manga or anime like most of my classmates, but I love Japanese culture, and I truly realized how much I loved it there during my visit.

My sensei took notice of how much I loved the trip, and she gave me some information on international schools there that'd I could apply for.

So my question is, would there be any point in doing this? My mom is actually encouraging me to school in Japan (which is odd because my parents are always complaining about money), but wouldn't going to college in Japan narrow my pathways in life significantly? Sure it would be a sweet experience, but will I be able to find a skill I excel at and enjoy it, and then be able to learn it in some random college in Japan? Even if I do, will I find work and be able to live in Japan -- or would I end up having to go back to America with a degree that probably looks unattractive to U.S employers?

My sensei explained to me how easy it is (or seems) to become an assistant English teacher. But teaching was something I have never even considered. Even then, most assistant English teachers in Japan only work for 2 years before their contract or whatever is over (so I'm told). And I would just be out in the world not knowing what to do with myself again.

I want to make money and I want to be happy like everyone else, but I'm extremely terrfied of failing to the point of depression. Do I even love Japan? Is it just because I'm 17 and was blinded by all the hot cars and the even hotter women?

The only thing I know for sure is that I love the language, and the people I met in Japan were all really down to earth.

So to wrap up my silly rant these are the questions I have for anyone who can answer:

As an American, would going to college in Japan and earning a degree there hurt my chances of being successful? Should I just remain in the U.S and gamble with some major and hope to visit Japan again if I'm lucky to be that finanically stable?

If I did go to school there, I read that I'd be in English speaking classes for the first 2 years or so. So would that mean I'd be with a bunch of people like myself? Because I want to be around Japanese people, as I have found out that almost everyone I've come in contack with in the U.S who shares my interest in Japan, only does so because they watch anime all day (no offesne to anyone, it's just not my style). I don't want to walk around Japan with a bunch of forigners and be viewed as such.

Do International schools offer quality majors that if I got a degree in that school it would be respected internationally?

Any other suggestions, advice, or comments would be much appreciated.

Thank a lot.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-28-2007, 02:52 AM

If you are 17 and are worried about making a lot of money, then I am not sure that a Japanese school is for you. It sounds like the reputation of the school is important, so I would recommend applying to an Ivy League school.

The reality is that it doesn't matter where you go to school as long as they have what you are looking for. If you want an immersion experience in Japan, then by all means apply to a Japanese college that accepts international students. It sounds like an awesome, once in a lifetime experience.

If however, you want to be in jobs surrounded by people that worry more about where you got your degree than that what you can do for the business, then a "famous" school might be better.

A degree is a piece of paper that gets you in doors, and nowadays it is meaning less and less.

Instead of worrying about what oppurtunities you might miss, think about what an awesome oppurtunity this is. AND your parents are encouraging you? My God, I would take it in a second. Even if you never set foot in a classroom, you will come back with an education, experience and skills that put you high above most kids in America chugging beer bongs at frat parties.

Anyone can get a business degree at an American college. But how many Americans get degrees at Japanese colleges? That REALLY sticks out for employers (as it sounds like that is what you are worried about, though, at 17, that's the last thing you should be worried about.)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
FalseAlarm (Offline)
New to JF

09-28-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If you are 17 and are worried about making a lot of money, then I am not sure that a Japanese school is for you. It sounds like the reputation of the school is important, so I would recommend applying to an Ivy League school.

The reality is that it doesn't matter where you go to school as long as they have what you are looking for. If you want an immersion experience in Japan, then by all means apply to a Japanese college that accepts international students. It sounds like an awesome, once in a lifetime experience.

If however, you want to be in jobs surrounded by people that worry more about where you got your degree than that what you can do for the business, then a "famous" school might be better.

A degree is a piece of paper that gets you in doors, and nowadays it is meaning less and less.

Instead of worrying about what oppurtunities you might miss, think about what an awesome oppurtunity this is. AND your parents are encouraging you? My God, I would take it in a second. Even if you never set foot in a classroom, you will come back with an education, experience and skills that put you high above most kids in America chugging beer bongs at frat parties.

Anyone can get a business degree at an American college. But how many Americans get degrees at Japanese colleges? That REALLY sticks out for employers (as it sounds like that is what you are worried about, though, at 17, that's the last thing you should be worried about.)
Thanks for the comment and suggestions.

It's not that I need to be rich or anything, it's just that I want a stable job that I can live comfortably on. And by comfortable I mean having food, shelter, and a little spare money to have fun with every now and then.

I think that I could live happily on a low salary, but what if I wanted to raise a family?

I will definately consider going to Japan for school, and hey if I don't like it - I can always get out after the first year.

I'll have to do some more research.

Thanks, and anymore more replies would be helpful.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
09-28-2007, 09:40 PM

You should *really* go to Japan and study there. Just do what you really want to do, and if you'll find out there are some problems, you can always come back and start a new career in the US. You're still young, you have a whole life ahead, and the years you'll spend in Japan won't be "wasted" at all. Just don't worry too much about your future, success, economic stability and such. If you study in Japan, you'll be able to speak fluent japanese, and that will be indeed a great "plus" when you'll be looking for a job!
And consider one thing: do you want to live and work in Japan, or just go there to study? Do you want to base your future job on the language (working, for example, as an interpreter or a translator?) or on another subject (for example, working as a manager in a company which has connections to japan?). My advice is: go to japan, and ganbatte in learning the language. When college will be over, you can decide if you want to come home and work, or stay and work there, or enroll into another school.
FalseAlarm, you sound very mature and responsable. I'm sure wheter road you'll choose in life will be the right one. But this sounds really like one of those "once in a lifetime" opportunities... and if you at least don't try it, in your future you could regret it. Expecially if you like Japanese culture so much!!

p.s. if going to a japanese college doesn't convince you, you could always go to a private school, one of those that offer 1 or 2 years of intensive language training.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
FalseAlarm (Offline)
New to JF

09-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclamen View Post
You should *really* go to Japan and study there. Just do what you really want to do, and if you'll find out there are some problems, you can always come back and start a new career in the US. You're still young, you have a whole life ahead, and the years you'll spend in Japan won't be "wasted" at all. Just don't worry too much about your future, success, economic stability and such. If you study in Japan, you'll be able to speak fluent japanese, and that will be indeed a great "plus" when you'll be looking for a job!
And consider one thing: do you want to live and work in Japan, or just go there to study? Do you want to base your future job on the language (working, for example, as an interpreter or a translator?) or on another subject (for example, working as a manager in a company which has connections to japan?). My advice is: go to japan, and ganbatte in learning the language. When college will be over, you can decide if you want to come home and work, or stay and work there, or enroll into another school.
FalseAlarm, you sound very mature and responsable. I'm sure wheter road you'll choose in life will be the right one. But this sounds really like one of those "once in a lifetime" opportunities... and if you at least don't try it, in your future you could regret it. Expecially if you like Japanese culture so much!!

p.s. if going to a japanese college doesn't convince you, you could always go to a private school, one of those that offer 1 or 2 years of intensive language training.
Thanks for replying.

I think I will try applying soon. My sensei had gotten a letter from the school asking if any of her students would be interested in studying in Japan. So she gave me the information.

The school I am looking at is:

(url doesn't seem to be working, google it)
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU)

It's located in Beppu, in the Oita prefecture. It's the 2nd largest city in the prefecture and from what I'm reading is near the shoreline (too good to be true?).

Is anyone familiar with the TOEFL or IELTS tests? They say scholarships are possbile for high scoring students...

Last edited by FalseAlarm : 09-28-2007 at 10:47 PM.