View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
FalseAlarm (Offline)
New to JF

09-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclamen View Post
You should *really* go to Japan and study there. Just do what you really want to do, and if you'll find out there are some problems, you can always come back and start a new career in the US. You're still young, you have a whole life ahead, and the years you'll spend in Japan won't be "wasted" at all. Just don't worry too much about your future, success, economic stability and such. If you study in Japan, you'll be able to speak fluent japanese, and that will be indeed a great "plus" when you'll be looking for a job!
And consider one thing: do you want to live and work in Japan, or just go there to study? Do you want to base your future job on the language (working, for example, as an interpreter or a translator?) or on another subject (for example, working as a manager in a company which has connections to japan?). My advice is: go to japan, and ganbatte in learning the language. When college will be over, you can decide if you want to come home and work, or stay and work there, or enroll into another school.
FalseAlarm, you sound very mature and responsable. I'm sure wheter road you'll choose in life will be the right one. But this sounds really like one of those "once in a lifetime" opportunities... and if you at least don't try it, in your future you could regret it. Expecially if you like Japanese culture so much!!

p.s. if going to a japanese college doesn't convince you, you could always go to a private school, one of those that offer 1 or 2 years of intensive language training.
Thanks for replying.

I think I will try applying soon. My sensei had gotten a letter from the school asking if any of her students would be interested in studying in Japan. So she gave me the information.

The school I am looking at is:

(url doesn't seem to be working, google it)
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU)

It's located in Beppu, in the Oita prefecture. It's the 2nd largest city in the prefecture and from what I'm reading is near the shoreline (too good to be true?).

Is anyone familiar with the TOEFL or IELTS tests? They say scholarships are possbile for high scoring students...

Last edited by FalseAlarm : 09-28-2007 at 10:47 PM.