(#2 (permalink))
Old
LearnAmazingJapanese (Offline)
New to JF

Gems - 10-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chnlzero View Post
Hello...

I've been here almost 3 weeks and had somewhat of an idea of what to do prior to arriving here. H/E when i realized that i'm here for 3mths.. whats the rush...

part of me still wants to be the littlest hobo, wanting to just discover whats out there... but then the conservative wants to play it safe and touristy thing universal studios, aquariums, outlet malls etc... its cool but safe.

Anyways before i zone off topic... if anyones got suggestions or know of hidden gems or even events taking place from now to december would be awesome otherwise no worries..

Cheers!
Here are few suggestions.

Himeji Castle - Definitely worth the time. They have English speaking guides (don't know the schedule), and for the first time, I think everyone should use a guide.

Ako - If you're a fan of Japanese history, this little town is the home country of the 47 Samurai. I think it's a "hidden gem" since not many foreigners know about the story (Forty-seven Ronin) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There's not enough in the town to spend a whole day there, necessarily, but it's a place that 99.9% of foreigners in Japan won't have visited.

Kyoto/ Nara - Yes, "touristy," but for good reason. Everyone has to see Kiyomizu (and drink from the waterfall) at least once in their travels around Japan.

Tenri City - I visited this town last year. Basically, the city is the headquarters of the Tenri-Kyo sect of Buddhism. They have some amazing facilities here for worship, schools, etc.

HTH.