View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dragonflyheels (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to dragonflyheels Send a message via MSN to dragonflyheels
10-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomth View Post
As someone who designs clothes and runs a brand name full time, for a living- its much harder than you can guess.

Theres a lot more to it than I ever guessed when I first started. Theres a lot of things you actually have to pay attention to outside of the clothing design itself.
How are you going to promote your brand/store???
How will you stand out from every other person/store doing what you do???
How will you PAY FOR IT ALL??!
its expensive. and it doesnt get cheaper over time. you buy supplies, you buy advertising, you buy equipment, you pay for staff, you pay for etc....

if youre going to do it RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. There are too many uninformed brands and stores that will never succeed due to the lack of research for their market/work prior to startup. Seriously spend months just READING and finding out what works before you waste your money.

For me it can stay a dream... lol, looks way too hard. And with research, I guess that a qualification in business studies won't do any harm either!
And I've seen these brands that have gotten nohere, especially ones that think they can buy a load of t-shirts, print some rubbish stuff on them and then add everyone they can find on MySpace, hoping they'd get a little bit of business.