View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-28-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fara7 View Post
I am not trying to make fun or anything but why do Japanese, Koreans and others use chopsticks? isn't it much easier to just take a spoon or fork and eat their food? I know this may sound a bit stupid but i am just curious why.

I just heard before that eating using chopsticks improves your concentration power, is that true? and are there any other benefits of using chopsticks?

This is a very fair question.

Chopsticks fit with Japanese culture perfectly. In Japan food is art, and food is appreciated, and food is loved. You will find people say that in Japanese cuisine presentation is just as important as flavor. It must stimulate more than one of the senses. It should please the eye, the nose, the mouth, even touch and sound are important. Sensory peace, tranquility and balance are valuble. In the west these ideas are largely ignored.

So with that in mind, think about chopsticks, and think about western utensils. Chopsticks can stir, mix, move and carry. The soft piece of tofu, bite of rice or slice of sashimi makes its path from the small plate to your mouth delicately carried by two long, pliable pieces of wood. The food remains in the same form until the moment it hits your tongue.

This is eating food properly in Japan. What better time to be harmonious with nature and with your self than at mealtime?

Do you still wonder why they don't use violent metal weapons to stab, slice, butcher, and cut up their food?