(#11 (permalink))
Old
kyokosun (Offline)
Eat the cookie of death!

Send a message via MSN to kyokosun
11-27-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fara7 View Post
I am not trying to make fun or anything but why do Japanese, Koreans and others use chopsticks? isn't it much easier to just take a spoon or fork and eat their food? I know this may sound a bit stupid but i am just curious why.

I just heard before that eating using chopsticks improves your concentration power, is that true? and are there any other benefits of using chopsticks?
Its not stupid its ok to be curious.

IT WAS HIM!!!!!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

11-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
No offense, but why do you care if she cares??
cuz it just seems like a unlikely question to ask..

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#13 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

11-27-2007, 06:08 PM

Because its their culture.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
kuronekoaus (Offline)
Resident Rockstar

11-28-2007, 05:51 AM

I think this is more a question of why would the Japanese drop centuries of tradition just to be more like westerners...?

Too cool for a yellow emoticon

(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-28-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I am not trying to make fun or anything but why do Japanese, Koreans and others use chopsticks? isn't it much easier to just take a spoon or fork and eat their food? I know this may sound a bit stupid but i am just curious why.

I just heard before that eating using chopsticks improves your concentration power, is that true? and are there any other benefits of using chopsticks?

This is a very fair question.

Chopsticks fit with Japanese culture perfectly. In Japan food is art, and food is appreciated, and food is loved. You will find people say that in Japanese cuisine presentation is just as important as flavor. It must stimulate more than one of the senses. It should please the eye, the nose, the mouth, even touch and sound are important. Sensory peace, tranquility and balance are valuble. In the west these ideas are largely ignored.

So with that in mind, think about chopsticks, and think about western utensils. Chopsticks can stir, mix, move and carry. The soft piece of tofu, bite of rice or slice of sashimi makes its path from the small plate to your mouth delicately carried by two long, pliable pieces of wood. The food remains in the same form until the moment it hits your tongue.

This is eating food properly in Japan. What better time to be harmonious with nature and with your self than at mealtime?

Do you still wonder why they don't use violent metal weapons to stab, slice, butcher, and cut up their food?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-28-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:

I'm sure tradition has a lot to do with choosing to use chopsticks in modern times and I think that is great. A lot of people don't understand how much thought goes into traditionally eating with a pair of chopsticks. You aren't supposed to just eat with chopsticks in the Japanese culture, but you are also suppose to be very mindful of proper Etiquette while eating. Take a look at this web site to learn more about eating with chopsticks properly, Chopsticks. From what I understand there is supposed to be more than this.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Milanor (Offline)
New to JF

11-28-2007, 12:18 PM

Welll.... I don't really know that much about chop stick even though i am asian, but from my um... analyze the structure of chopstick i can give u the answer of "Why chopsticks?"

1: Chopstick is just esasy to make, very simple shape unlike fork or spoon!!! can be made by various material => cheap. This leave me the the next reason

2:Type of food they cook is most apporiate to eat with chopstick, altho fork will do fine but remeber the Western and the Asian culture develop without any interference with each other unltil these very last centuries, so the only eating equipment at the time is chopstick.

3: Because it is cheap, affordable, and easesy to made that why the chopstick is so popular in the old times, as poor people can also access to these chopsticks easely. Unlike fork, with usssually used only for the royal and rich people (lol i think so).
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
11-28-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Why? Damn you people are annoying. Just coz you never grew up with them and find it a little complicated for your simple minds you think that there is no way someone could want to do something that complicated for any other reason than tradition. I tell yous again; IT IS NOT DARN HARD. They use sticks coz it is the easiest way to eat their food, end of story. I use them every day, I know, okay.
Of course they're not hard to use for you Mr."I use them everyday". What if that person is a novice, hmmm.....you can't say it's easy. Someone who hasn't done it in a lifetime can't pick up a pair and just use them automatically. There's a technique for it and it takes practice before you use them correctly.

I should know.....I use them as often as I can and I still haven't perfected it. The first time I tried, I accidently flung a shrimp at someone But now I can hold it without loosing my food.

Like everything in life you have to learn how to first before it becomes easy.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#19 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-28-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Why? Damn you people are annoying. Just coz you never grew up with them and find it a little complicated for your simple minds you think that there is no way someone could want to do something that complicated for any other reason than tradition. I tell yous again; IT IS NOT DARN HARD. They use sticks coz it is the easiest way to eat their food, end of story. I use them every day, I know, okay.
Please please, thoroughly read my post. I was only speaking about Japanese customs for utilizing chopsticks. I also made sure to elaborate on "TRADITIONAL JAPANESE USAGE." If one is actually mindful of the proper usage of chopsticks in Japanese culture then it is not a simple case of just eating one's food and being done with it. I want to reiterate, I was only speaking of traditional usage of chopsticks in the Japanese culture. Look at the link and you will understand a little of what I was talking about. Furthermore, I did grow up using chopsticks and I happen to be half Japanese. When I was younger I was scolded for improper usage of chopsticks by family members.

Link: Chopsticks

Last edited by kunitokotachi : 11-28-2007 at 12:44 PM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Hatenko (Offline)
New to JF

11-28-2007, 12:41 PM

I use chopsticks when I eat Asian food, and I use knife and fork when I eat Western food. Simple as that. And they use it for no reason? Easier to eat Asian food with them and because it's part of their heritage? I guess.