JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#151 (permalink))
Old
Fire_Girl625 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Fire_Girl625 Send a message via Yahoo to Fire_Girl625
07-09-2008, 04:58 PM

I heard it started in China, because of the fact that they cut up their food so small. They believe it is not right to give your guests a huge peice of meat and expect them to cut it up. I think they still use it simply because it's easier for them. Plus, I find using chop sticks more enjoyable, and using chopsticks may increase your dexterity.
(#152 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-10-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingWolf13 View Post
honestly, I think that chopsticks are a lot more civilized than just using a fork and spoon to shovel food into your mouth. Eating at a slower pace is better for your digestion! Although, sadly, I have witnessed the horrific event of chopsticks being used as "scoops" *shudders at the thought*
some people are such barbarians...
Mind explaining that a bit better? "Scoops". Do you mean like how one would use a spoon? I know I probably "scoop" if I'm using chopsticks with rice.
(#153 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

Send a message via Yahoo to jrocka83 Send a message via Skype™ to jrocka83
07-10-2008, 01:30 AM

Chop Stix are more easy to use with some food then spoon and fork. I find it much better eating noodles with chop stix, and sticky rice. Wth fried rice I use a spoon;most Japanese people do. In Japan resteruants give a spoon with fried rice.

Quote:
honestly, I think that chopsticks are a lot more civilized than just using a fork and spoon to shovel food into your mouth. Eating at a slower pace is better for your digestion! Although, sadly, I have witnessed the horrific event of chopsticks being used as "scoops" *shudders at the thought*
some people are such barbarians...
Are you talking about Americans using Chop Stix?
We are Americans, chop stix is not in our cultural, so most of us don't know how to use them that well. Ive seen even Japanese use chop stix in that manner. No ones perfect.

And some people are such Fags...
(#154 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-10-2008, 07:36 PM

My brain seems to have short circuited somewhere!

The other night I ordered a salad with my pizza in an Italian restaurant and my roommate caught me looking for something. I had instinctively looked for chopsticks with my silverware when the waitress set the dish down.

I guess my preference is now a habit. And after a few minutes fighting romaine ribs with dull fork tines I really began considering pulling my own hashi out of my backpack no matter how strange it would look.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#155 (permalink))
Old
Nic (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Nic
07-14-2008, 04:33 AM

Benefit wise, I actually read somewhere that using chop sticks to eat your food seems to make it taste better than when using other utenils. I personally never noticed any difference, but I guess others have.
(#156 (permalink))
Old
MegumiDeshita (Offline)
New to JF

07-14-2008, 07:18 PM

Well, why NOT chopsticks? I use them most of the time at home, myself.

"Sing when you can no longer speak; dance when you can no longer walk. One at its best should be an extension of the other."