View Single Post
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Makino (Offline)
New to JF

11-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
You seriously took the words out of my mouth.
Debito irritates me because he takes a good cause, and then selects the worst possible way to fight against it.

Discrimination sucks, but screaming and suing people is not going to change their opinions. I think an education campaign - for BOTH Japanese and foreigners in Japan - would have 10 times more of an effect. Landlords don`t dislike renting to foreigners because of their color alone - they don`t like it because foreigners DO tend to screw them over. People in Japan tend to be pretty darn trusting until someone screws them over - and a lot of people seem to see this as an invitation to do just that.
Why pay the utilities when you`re never coming back? Why NOT trash the apartment - You`re leaving Japan for good! Why not shoplift? The cashier is a smiling trusting high school girl! You`re leaving next month - a great chance to use the cell phone like crazy and never have to pay the bill!

It`s those type of foreigners that really are the root of the problem. Enforcing laws that end up causing more people to be screwed over is NOT going to help the situation. Yes, it sucks for foreigners who DON`T do things like that - but that`s life. Change people`s opinions by behaving like a decent person. Not by running around screaming and making people cringe like Debito.

Seriously, you people rock. Its people who realise this, that can make an impact.

But honestly, I think that if people are going to go to Japan on a VISA and screw around, then the Japanese government has the right to kick them out. The whole group shouldnt have to suffer because a few people are stupid.

>_<

Greeaat... now im all freaked out that in Japan they are gonna hate me. my japanese friends are so nice >_< Hopefully by the time I go, all the immature people GROW UP